Implant Reduction Surgery - Benefits, Risks, Expectations?

In October 2007 I got Mentor Gel implants. I am a full D cup and wish I was a full B/small C cup. I am 5'7", 132 lbs. slightly barreled-chest, with a low chest. I am considering another surgery to reduce the implant size & increase the profile to a moderate plus. What kind of results can I expect? What are the benefits/risks of local anesthesia surgeries? Also, I my highly reputable doctor is now retired. How do I find someone I KNOW I can trust?

Implant exchange

+1

I think putting in a smaller implant will be fine.You may have a little more skin laxity but I think you will do fine.I would ask your retired surgeon who he might recommend or ask you primary care doc or gynecologist.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

You were a Full B/Small C before implants.

+1

From your description of your goals and your preoperative photos, you were at your goals before breast augmentation. I recommend implant removal without replacement.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing your implants

+1

Thank you for posting the photos.  I ask my patients to bring in photos of what they want to achieve so that I can discuss with them what type of surgery / type of implant, etc.. I would suggest using.  Sometimes patients think they want a specific "profile" implant but really a different profile would work best for them.... that is why bringing in photos of your "goals" is helpful for the surgeon.

You need to do some research to find photos of patients with similar starting points and end results that you like.  Make sure your surgeon has experience with revisionary breast surgery.  

+1

Thanks for posting the photos. I would defer doing your surgery. I think you have a great result and maybe should rethink this issue. Best of luck. 

Implant downsizing

+1

Dear Wish,

Start with researching surgeons in your area through the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.  Then you can be sure that your surgeon has at least undergone rigorous training and examination in the field of breast augmentation surgery.  During consultation you can get a feel for the level of trust that you have for the surgeon you choose to see.  Two or three consultations are recommended to give you a range of opinion and answer all of your questions.  Your risks and expectations can better be addressed by surgeons that have examined you and obtained your full history and goals.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Revision augmentation with a barrel chest

+1

Your results are good but not great because the breasts are angled away from each other and the lower-inner pockets are not open enough.  Improvement with reduction in size would require a LOWER profile implant (wider base) with opening of the lower-inner pocket on each side.  This will improve the cleavage area and allow you to have smaller breasts with normal base to tip relationships.  

Any surgeon you are considering should have a bunch of pictures to show you of their revision work.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Revision breast surgery

+1

If a smaller implant is placed, you may have excess skin that will need to be addressed.  I think you may wish to consider a lower profile implant.  You need to define your goals clearly.  You would want to discuss whether the surgeon has experience with revisions.   They are more difficult than primary surgery.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Implant reduction surgery

+1

You are describing two conflicting things - implant "reduction" and increasing the profile.  With your current result, you can't go with a narrower width implant than you have without getting a wide gap in the midline.  So, the base width needs to be equal (or even more if you wanted tighter cleavage).  Then the mod plus implant will actually be bigger in volume than what you currently have as long as the base width is right.

Start by asking your Gyn who are the best plastic surgeons in your area or any friends you know who have had surgery then go meet them and decide who suits you best.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Size reduction after breast augmentation

+1

You were a full B to begin with! I suspect that you merely wanted implants to make your breasts 'look perky' (I hear this all the time). Implants are designed to make your breasts look BIGGER, not 'perky.'

Do yourself a favor and have them removed.

J. Brian Boyd, MD