Implant Problem- One Breast Falls to Side

I am 4 weeks post op of a 2nd breast augmentation. I went up in size and to fix asymmetry and a dent in right breast. Now I notice that when I lay down the right breast falls off to the side a little. Is it possible that I over stretched the pocket somehow? When I woke up this morning I was sore on the right side under my armpit and side of the breast. If this is something that just happened is there a possibility that it will fix it's self in the healing process??

Breast falling to the side after breast augmentation: The subfascial solution!

+2

Unfortunately this is a very common problem with dual-plane subpectoral techniques.  These techniques offer no lower and lateral support to the implant and subject the implant to variable but constant force in the down and out direction by virtue of the altered pectoralis muscle.  This is the reason that I prefer the subfascial plane for both primary and revisional augmentations.  I developed a modification I call COLD-SUBFASCIAL augmentation in which I am able to protect the fascia from damage and use it to offer lasting support and shape a beautiful tear-drop natural appearing breast.  Other options such as capsulorrhaphy and alloderm slings tend to stretch and lose support.  By leaving the muscle out of the equation the large force pushing the implant toward the implant is removed.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Breast implant falling off to side

+1

One of the most common complications after breast augmentation surgery is implant mal-position. This occurs when the implant is in an incorrect position on the chest wall. This may include incorrect position of the implant superiorly (“riding high”), inferiorly (“bottoming out”), medially (“symmastia or uni-boob”) or laterally (falling outward into the axilla).

In your case, you may be experiencing  lateral displacement of the breast implant on the right side. This may be associated with discomfort along the side of the right breast. This can be corrected using an internal suture technique decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implant toward the midline.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and ask to see results of patients who have had similar surgery performed.

Implants falling into the armpits

+1

If an implant falls too far to the outside when you lie down then there may be too little support for the implants laterally.  If you are early in the healing process from implant surgery then you may be able to support this area so that your tissue will grow together and prevent the implant from falling off to the side.  If this doesn't work or if it is too late to try this conservative measure then the problem may be corrected with surgery.  This usually involves using two or three layers of stitches inside the breast pocket to close off the outer portion of the pocket and give it strength and support.  Eventually, your tissues will heal as well and add additional support so that the implants don't slide off into your armpits anymore.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Implant problem

+1

It is possible that in fixing the asymmetry and dent, some alteration of your implant pocket was performed that has led to the pocket being larger to the outer side and allowing the implant to shift more than before.  You need to see your surgeon, who knows what he found and what he did at your last surgery, and see what he suggests.  I have had patients whose implants went too far to the sides following revisionary surgery and who were able to close off thosse pockets without surgery by wearing a bra at night religiously for several months so that the lateral pockets closed down...if you choose to do this, you would want to start as soon as possible.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Implant Position Problem

+1

If the new implant falls off to the side, this is an implant pocket problem.  From what you stated, you likely had some component of a capsular contracture of the right breast.  Without knowing more details of the revision procedure, attempted treatment of your "asymmetry" and "dent" may have led to this new problem.  I'd also be curious to know how much of a size increase you experienced.  Regardless, this issue needs quick attention in case a nonsurgical intervention could help.    

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

Breast implant revision

+1

An implant sliding out to the side too far may mean the pocket is too large in that area.  Seeing your surgeon early may permit taping and other techniques that can help to get the pocket to heal in a way that provides better implant positioning.  It doesn't always work, but if it's going to it has to be done early.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision falling to the side

+1

It is discouraging when revision of breast implants does not solve all problems, and the after four weeks if the implant falls off to side it seems that the pocket is too large allowing the implant to slip out of position. We don't have enough information to know just what was done, though at best you might try to stay in a snug bra 24/7 to hold the implant centered in the breast, and let your surgeon have a look.

peterejohnsonmd

Implant Problem

+1

Alexandrite, you mentioned that you are 4 weeks post-op and are noticing some lateral movement of the implant  while lying down.  Did you have this before surgery with your previous implant?  If the movement is subtle and there appears to be no other problems with the position of the implant then the use of supportive bras and restriction of activity might be helpful.  If this problem is more severe, then you might need surgery.  It is best to speak with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

+1

Having your implants go up towards your armpit is a bit of a concern. You should see your surgeon ASAP.

Breast Implants that Fall Off to the Side

+1

Breast implants that fall off to the side, can be caused by several things. One, the pocket for the implant was opened too far laterally, or the shape of the chest wall is like an A frame house, allowing the implants to fall to the side.

Prior to breast surgery , it is important to measure the breasts in the standing and lying position and note any asymmetries. Once noted, a surgical plan can be developed to help correct these asymmetries. Most often there will still be residual asymmetry.

If implants fall off to the side, it is possible to close off the pockets with a procedure known as a capsulorrhaphy, this however, requires additional surgery.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon