Implant Plus Fat Graft Safe?

Ten years ago I got saline implants (just under 400cc). I went from an "a" to a "dd." they are soft and very natural looking but I feel they are too far apart. I know an implant alone will not fix this. Is it safe/possible to have a fat graft during an augmentation surgery to create closer/full cleavage?

Fat transfer

+1

It's a bad idea. It probably won't work, but in addition it will increase your risk of infection. Breast implants often fall to the side with time. A more effective procedure is to have the lateral implant pocket closed off by suturing it from the inside.  However, it also has the risk of the implants gradually working their way apart from each other over time.   If the implant separation is only slight, I would advise against surgery.

Fat grafting to breasts to add cleavage

+1

Hi Blair,

It is highly unlikely that a fat graft would correct the problem you are describing not to mention all the related risks and complications associated with fat grafts to breasts. Tightening the pockets laterally to push the implants toward the center will usually fix the problem. Best wishes,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting in revisional breast surgery

+1

The first question I would ask is whether the fundamental problem is related to the implant position or whether it is related to the fundamental structure of the breasts.

If your breasts were not originally widely spaced, then this may be a matter of the implants drifting off to the side.  Surgery to tighten the implant pocket on the sides might help to return the implants to their proper position.

On the other hand if your fundamental breast structure is widely spaced, then fat grafting may be helpful.

Please be aware that this procedure carries some controversy and it is important to discuss your plan in detail with a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experienced in revisional breast surgery.

John Q. Cook, MD

Breast Implant Plus Fat Grafting?

+1

Fat grafting has become a very powerful procedure for secondary breast augmentation procedures. This can be very effective in creating better cleavage, upper pole fullness, or increase the tissue thickness over the implant. It has become almost routine to perform fat grafting to the breast while performing breast augmentation revisions. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Implants, Fat Grafting, cleavage

+1

Without seeing pictures of you it is impossible to render an informed opinion. That having been said, your implants may be too far apart due to your anatomy or due to lateral drift of your implants. If excessive lateral drift is the problem, closing off the lateral aspect of the implant pocket may improve your cleavage. Of course a bigger/ wider implant may do the same but that is usually temporary as the increased weight of the implant stretches the pocket back out. Fat grafting is unlikely to help with your stated goals. Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon