Can Implant Placement Interfere with Pectoral Muscle?

i would not like my implant to interfere with my pectorial muscle if i am excercising becuase i am very active but i definitly want as much of a natural look as possible (my breast fat covering the implant).is there an operation that can compromise the two subglandular and sumbmuscular.

Under and Over the muscle Implant placement and pectoralis muscle funciton

+3

After reading your comments and concerns, it seems having a small to moderate sized silicone cohesive gel implant may be the best answer. There are no absolutely perfect solutions but this implant allows you to have a very natural look while not impacting the pectoralis muscle function.

Hope this was helpful.

Implant Placement in Active Patient

+1

Unless you are a competitive body builder, I typically recommend a sub-pectoral placement to maximize the benefit-to-risk ratio.  The most common "side-effect" in athletic patients is "tethering" of the implant, also known as "breast animation."  You can do a search on these terms and find videos to get the visual of this action.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO: Under versus over and pectoralis muscle function with breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

Placing the implant under the muscle (complete, total, partial , dual plane) can interfere with the pectoralis muscle function as can be seen in the following video

Breast augmentation is usually performed beneath the muscle.

+1

Breast augmentation is usually performed beneath the muscle even in very athletic or active individuals.  This usually gives the most pleasing contour and hides the implant better.  I have operated on yoga and karate instructors, marathon runners, triathletes, personal trainers and full time mothers (that's more of a work-out than most people give credit for).  In each of these instances I have encouraged submuscular position to help hide and conceal the implant because most of these people don't have  a lot of native breast tissue to cover the implant.

Be aware that you can have a visible movement of your breast tissue when you contract your pectoralis muscle firmly.  You have it right now as well, but your skin is not pulled tightly enough for you to see it very much right now.  After augmentation the skin will be tighter and will show this movement a little more. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implant placement and pocket location

+1

Placing an implant in a partial subpectoral plane is my preferred location for most individuals.  There is a compromise in both locations( the  other being above the muscle).  Under the msuscle may impact the way the implant moves with muscle flexion.

Implant placement interfere with pectoral muscle

+1

Without an in person examination to see the thickness and anatomy of your chest wall and its musculature very hard to advise. My guess is I could do a partial sub-muscular placement. But any time you cut the pectoral muscle there can be decreased function. Maybe the above position is your only real answer. Seek opinions in person from boarded surgeon in your area. Best of luck from MIAMI DR., B

Subglandular breast implants best in very athletic women.

+1

Hi.

From what you say,  you will probably do best with moderate sized, cohesive silicone breast implants placed over the muscle.  You can get natural result this way.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Implant interference with Pectoral muscle

+1

The implant will always interfere some with the pectoralis muscle if it is placed under the muscle. Therefore, I never place implants under the muscle in women like you. Instead, I use a textured implant over the muscle.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Dual plane is an option

+1

The best option for the patients that are very athletic is to place the implants above the muscle. the disadvantage of the sub glandular position is the thinning of the tissue and early sagging.

The dual plane helps to some degree,but will feel implant moving with the pectoralis muscle contracture.

The other option is fat grafting if you have fat deposits that can be harvested.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant placement and pectoral muscle function

+1
You ask a very important question because the traditional technique for implnat placement under the muscle (often called dual plane) requires that a portion of the muscle is cut where it attaches to the chest. This means that about half of the muscle is no longer functional. Also, it often results in what are called "animation deformities" when the muscle is flexed. These problems can be prevented using a muscle splitting technique which preserves muscle function, prevents animation deformity, and still provides muscle coverage where it is needed.

Richard Baxter, MD