Why Does a Implant on One Person Look Different on Another?

I am a 36 b cup, I weigh 135 lbs and I am 5'4 tall. I told my doctor I like the look of the hp 450 right side and 425 left side gel impant but wanted the make sure I had the fullness of a d cup, she told me to go to a 500cc hp implant does this seem reasonable? and they havent taken any measurements except saying I was a 36 b cup.

Final breast appearance is a function of body habitus and initial breast size with breast augmentation.

+1

The final appearance provided by implant of a certain size is a function of the volume of the breast to which it is added as well as the overall size of the patient. A 300 mL implant on a 6 foot woman looks much different than on a 5 foot woman.

Cup Size is not scientific neither standard reference

+1

I do understand that Cup size is the most common way to discuss the breast size, but keep in my mind that on the day of surgery, you are not "shopping for a bra size." As a matter of fact, you are willing to receive a larger breast that should be large as you like, be proportionate with the rest of your body and fit within the safe limits that is very well known for plastic surgeons after measuring your chest. As you have mentioned, implants do look different from one person to another because your final result is the combination of your natural breast size, natural breast tissue consistency, plus the added implant size and type. My best advice for you is to talk with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and try to develop a good understanding and surgical plan which is best tailored for you. 

You might find the following link helpful for your decision.

Good Luck.

M. Ryan Khosravi, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

As you have mentioned implants do look different from one person to another because your final result is the combination of your natural breast plus the added implant.  No two women's breasts are exactly alike, and each persons breasts will accept the implant differently depending on the nature and "stretchability" of the breast and muscle tissues.  The best advise I can give you is to talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and try to develop a good understanding of your body's breast and the predictable result of an implant augmentation.  I hope this is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Implant choice

+1

If you have been measured and you decided on this approximate volume then you can do a baggy test and try the difference volumes out.

Choosing the right breast implant

+1

Every patient has a slightly different chest wall width, amount of native breast tissue, skin envelope, and breast shape that will affect the end result of an augmentation procedure. That is why a certain implant on you will look different than on someone else. In the end, you will need to trust your surgeon and feel confident that you have communicated with each other well enough for him/her to deliver the results that you are expecting. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Why Does One Breast Implant on One Person Look Different on Another?

+1

Thank you for the good question.  You are correct in that  the use of  identical breast implants may achieve a very different look for different patients. The difference in outcome is related to factors such as patient anatomy,  including the differing amounts of native breast tissue and the shape of the chest walls involved. For example, if the patient has a concave chest wall,  she may require a larger (or higher profile) breast implant to achieve the same outcome  compared to the patient with a different shape chest wall.

Of course, other considerations include general body type and variables such as patient height and shoulder/hip width etc.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Implants Don't Define the Look or the Size!

+1

Great question! With the exception of 'gummy bear' implants, saline and silicone gel implants are shaped by the breast tissue envelope, which can be very different in thickness, elasticity, shape, and of course size.   So with all due respect, madam,  this is why the prospective patient like yourself should not get involved in picking the implant size!  However, I must say that even the most experienced breast implant surgeon should be mindful of measuring your breast dimensions before deciding on the implant. You might benefit yourself by continuing your consultation efforts with a few other surgeons.  Be sure that they are certified by the ABPS, and are members of the ASAPS, signifying their commitment to aesthetic plastic surgery.  If you see anyone with certification or membership in a society with the words 'cosmetic surgery', I recommend you move on to another surgeon.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

Unless you have done hundreds of augmentations it is impossible for you as a patient to know what will look best once the implant is behind your tissues. Holding them in front of your chest or even using one of the new 3d machines to predict your shape are even of marginal value. I rarely get a patient who comes in and tells me exactly what implant they want. When I do I explain that I will be very happy to follow their instructions no matter how bad it looks or they can tell me what look they want and allow me to use my judgement and experience to accomplish their goals. Bet you know what every one of them chose.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Implant Size.

+1

Without pictures I cannot give an educated answer. You chose your surgeon because you trusted his or her judgement and skill. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Good Luck. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

Without photos and measurements it is difficult to make specific recommendations. Your surgeon is in the best position to advise you.  If you want get a second opinion. 

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon