If One Implant is Leaking, Should They Both Be Replaced?

Hi, I've had my implants for 11 yrs and I noticed my right breast is very soft & jelly-like. Since the implants are old, should they both be replaced? Is the revision surgery after 10yrs as extensive as the 1st time? I have mentor textured round & the valves are still in (underarm incision).

Leaking implants

+1

I recommend getting assessed by your PS along with an MRI to assess the integrity of the implants.

I cannot comment on the cost of surgery in America, but generally revisional surgery is a little dearer in Australia. However, in Australia some insurance companies do cover revisional breast surgery as a result of leaking implants.  

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Implant leakage

+1

If you have a leaking implant that is more than 11 years old, I would probably recommend to have the other one exchanged at the same time.

Remove and Replace Implants

+1

Since it has been 11 years, I would recommend removing and replacing both imlpants and not just the one that is leaking. The revision surgery is typically less painful because the space is already there where the implants are and the muscle has already stretched out in this area. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO: Breast implant remove and replace

+1

Generally speaking the valves are typically retained for only 6 months after surgery. At this point in time, it would be my opinion that both implants be replaced. Eleven years with textured surface implants is considered reasonable and it is likely that these will be exchanged for either smooth saline or silicone implants. The recovery is generally less thant the initial procedure for a straightforward remove and replace.

Breast implant replacement

+1

Breast implants may rupture or leak after implantation, and are usually replaced if that occurs. Since you are already undergoing surgery for the leaking implant, you may wish to have both replaced with the newer implants that are currently available.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Replacement Breast Implants After Eleven Years

+1

Every situation is different, therefore personal consultation is your best first step.  In general, if you are dissatisfied with enough about your current result, and the surgeon determines he or she can likely solve or improve upon the problems about which you are complaining, it is worth having the augmentation revised, and yes, after eleven years, new prostheses should probably be part of the revision plan.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast implant reoperation

+1

Being that it has been 11 years, I would consider removal and replacement of both. However, this is no guarantee that you won't experience a recurrent rupture.  Typically after 10 years, there are appearance changes that have happened with the breasts, and often times additional work or reshaping of the breast is indicated for cosmetic reasons. Reoperation can be more complicated and more expensive than initial surgery, as scar tissue, preexisting pockets, as well as overlying tissue needs to be accounted for. Every surgical plan is individualized per patient based on exam findings and cosmetic desires.

Hayley Brown, MD