What implant is best for perkiness/fullness? Saline or silicone? And is 500cc really big for a person like me?

Hi. I'm a mom of 5 and have no fullness. I was told I need a full lift. I'm a full 38B small C. What implant will give me the most fullness/perkiness? And is a 500cc implant to big for me? I'm 5'4 about 230lbs. Please help I don't know what size nor which implant will give me the most fullness/perkiness. I am getting a lift with BA. Thank u in advance.

+2

Thank you for the questions.  Although these are good questions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough answers to be truly helpful. The best breast operation, best breast implant type, and best breast implant size/profile can only be determined during the thorough in person consultation process.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or “C or D cup” or "fullness/perkiness” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

A breast lift not an implant will give you "perky" breasts

+2
The breast lift will make your breasts more perky.  Breast implants do not lift the breast or make it more perky they simply make the breast more full and better shaped.

Advice regarding sizing requires an in person examination with measurements of your breast with chest with and use of a breast implant sizing system where different sized implants will be placed into a non-padded bra.  The important thing to consider is the shape and size you want and how you will look and do not be concerned about cup size which varies among different manufacturers.

500 cc is a quite large breast implant.  In my practice most patients prefer implants in the 350 cc range.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

What implant is best for perkiness/fullness?

+2
The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. Both saline and silicone implants can produce a good result in the appropriate patient.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Sizing

+2
A formal physical exam is really required to make any recommendations.  This is the framework I use to help my patients with their sizing:   I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu 
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

+2
It is important to be seen and examined.  The examination of your chest is important to determine the width of the breast and the amount of breast tissue that will help cover the implant.  The skin quality is also another important factor.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast implants not needed to provide fullness or perkiness

+2
Dear Mandy,

It would be of great benefit if you could submit photos to provide you with the best advice possible. If you are requiring a full lift, then you may be a candidate for the Ultimate Breast Lift technique. This technique not only eliminates the need for breast implants to provide patients with upper pole fullness, but it also eliminates the unsightly vertical scar (which in time widens and weakens the life of the traditional lift). The UBL technique uses your own tissues to reshape, lift and permanently anchor the weight of your breast on to your chest muscles. It is a proprietary technique and therefore unable to be duplicated. Please feel free to visit my gallery to see how beautiful results are achievable with less scarring and without the long term commitment to implants.

Word of caution, the larger the implant the higher the risk of complications and the need for another lift in the future.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+2
To determine the best implant size for you, we need to take measurements and see photos.  A 500 cc implant is a large implants.  Without photos, we do not know how much breast volume you have.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss volume and shape.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Right implant size

+1
Thank you for your breast implant question.

• I would love to give you specific advice but truly, for selection of an implant you need to rely on your surgeon,
  • These are complex decisions and need a face-to-face examination and discussion of your goals,
  • The right implant depends on your chest measurements, your goals, height, weight, skin looseness, breast fullness and proportions – as well as implant placement and profile and placement
  • And when you need a lift, the decision becomes even more complex,
  • A 500 cc implant will be a large implant - and may be too large after the lift,
  • You truly need your surgeon's personal advice. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Implants are essentially the same

+1
as they will make you fuller and larger.  In my practice I've never been able to tell saline from gel by simply looking at the breasts post-op.  Feel provides more clues as to what kind of implant you have.  As for the size, use of external sizers in unlined bras make it very easy to predict what you will look like with implants.  Most doctors add 10% or so to the sizer you like to more accurately achieve the look you had with the sizer in your bra. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon