Why Does My Dentist Say I Cant Get an Implant for My Extracted Molar?

Hello, My dentist extracted my lower molar, because it's suffering with root infection and molar totally dead. At the time of extraction my dentist clean all root and dental bone loss in this, Now im fine and i want to repair my missing tooth with implant, when i contact with my dentist he replied your dental bone loss in extraction because of infections, so you have only one option use detail bridge, Please let me know, why im not able to adopt implant method? :( thnaks

Am I A Candidate For A Dental Implant?

+2

Dental implants are a wonderful service for many people, but everyone may not be a candidate due to  poor quality bone.  It sounds as though you lost a significant amount of bone due to infection prior to having your tooth extracted.  The best option to see exactly the quantity of bone that you have in that area would be to have a 3D CBCT (CT scan) image taken of that area.  This can be done in a dental office that has a CT machine and will tell you the exact dimensions of your bone.  The doctor would easily be able to tell you if you are able to have an implant immediately or if a bone grafting procedure would need to be performed first.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Why Does My Dentist Say I Can't Get an Implant for My Extracted Molar?

+2

Dental implants can work in many situations. If there has been a lot of bone damage due to an extensive infection, then that can lower the chance that an implant will be highly successful.

Many times an implant can be placed, even in bone that has had problems. There are often regional gurus who are amazing at getting implants to work in difficult places (sometimes an oral surgeon, or a periodontist).

It sounds to me like you ought to ask more questions about your situation. 

One other concern can be that depending upon the condition of the teeth neighboring the extraction area, a bridge can be far less costly, and repair more problems than just the missing tooth. A dentist who knows you and your conditions well can offer you good advice. 

Here's one warning: don't let ANYONE put an implant in until the dentist that will be making the crown says it's OK. In the end, the dentist building the teeth needs to direct the other specialists to create optimal results.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

How to replace missing molar with dental implant- things your dentist is NOT telling you !!

+2

Hi, I carefully read your posting. I sounds to me that your dentist is not comfortable with offering to you the most advanced treatment options. From our experience almost ALL molars can be replaced with implants. I recommend to you to ask your dentist to refer you to an implant specialist or a dental center that has several dental specialists, like prostodontists or periodontists. in our dental implant center we have restorative dentists with experience in restoring complex implant cases, periodontists ( gum surgery specialists) , medical doctors and anesthesiology specialist for medically compromised patients. We restore all varieties of dental implant cases-from replacing just one tooth to replacing all missing teeth.

So, do NOT get disappointed, look for experienced implant dental center around you

Gregory Rubin, DDS
Calabasas Cosmetic Dentist

Implant after tooth extraction.

+2

It is true that dental implants require adequate bone to be able to stabilize the implant.  Bone is usually lost during traumatic extraction of a tooth, severe infection and or prolonged time musing teeth.  We are truly lucky today as advancement in dental materials techniques and research have led to very predictable ways to augment bone volume and rebuild lst bone in all dimensions.  There is nearly never a situation that can't be remedied.  It's a matter of how much surgery are you willing to undergo to rebuild the bone, how much of a financial commitment are you willing to accept and  how much experience your dental surgeon has.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants require adequate bone volume

+2

If a tooth was lost due to infection, it is not unusual to have lost significant bone. If there isn't more bone than the size of the implant, then an implant is not an option. Implants must be a minimum size depending on location, so perhaps a bridge is the best option. Another opinion after a clinical exam may help.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Why An Implant Won't Work on Extracted Molar

+2

Implants require a certain amount of healthy jaw bone in order to "integrate". When the dentist extracted the infected molar, and cleaned out the extraction site, he was then able to evaluate the site for the implant placement. If the X-rays and his clinical observation both confirm that there is NOT enough adequate bone to support an implant, even with bone grafting procedures, then you have no choice but a fixed bridge. It might be worth getting a second opinion from an oral surgeon or a periodontist that is well trained and experienced in implant placement.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Bone grafting could be your answer

+1

An implant could be an option for just about anyone. You may not have enough bone in that area due to the infection, but a bone graft could be an option for you. A bone graft could be completed, then an implant could be placed after the bone heals. You would have to have an xray that shows 3D images so the bone level in all aspects could be evaluated-a referral to an oral surgeon or a periodontist may be necessary. If an implant is placed, keep in mind that good oral hygiene must be maintained because implants could suffer from infections just like regular teeth. 

James Powell, DDS
Lancaster Cosmetic Dentist

Why no Dental Implant?

+1

Dental Implants are almost always a viable option for replacement of a single or multiple teeth.  A molr tooth is no exception, even if there has been infection or root resorption.  It may take a secondary procedure to bone graft the area, but in an ideal situation for a molar tooth the area of the extracted tooth should be bone grafted IMMEDIATELY when the tooth is removed.  This allows for proper healing of the site and gives the ideal amount of bone and soft tissue for a dental implant that will last you the rest of your life. The implant is then placed after adequate healing occurs which can be fro 2-4 months usually.  As a Board Certified Oral & Maxillofaical surgeon I perform these procedures on a daily basis and have close to a 100% success rate performing the procedure this way.  I suggest you see a board certified oral surgeon to evaqluate your specific situation

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Missing molar

+1

Everyone situation is unique, however, in almost all cases procedures can be preformed to provide sufficient bone for dental implant placement.  It would be in your best interest to schedule an appointment with an oral surgeon to find out what your options really are....

Bernard Ian Krupp, DDS
Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon