Breast Implant Fill Ranges?

Went for my pre- op appointment today and PS ordered Mentor high profile 560cc implants but said they can be filled up to 675cc. What is the difference in appearance if the fill them low,mid,or high range or the implant specifications? I currently have 400 cc implants and want them higher,rounder, and bigger. I'm just conceded about the appearance with the fill? If I fill them to 675 will they be rounder than at 600 or will that not make a difference?if I fill them at 560 will the have ripples?

Breast Implant Fill Ranges

+2

All of the breast implants on the market come with a recommended fill range from the manufacturer. If you fill the implant below the recommended rang you will increase the risk for implant rippling and crease fold failure of the implant. If you fill the implant beyond the recommended range you will create an implant with a firmer feel. At extreme levels of filling the implant will eventually fail. 

In my practice, I prefer to fill implants at or near the upper limit of their fill range. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Fill them up!

+1

When implants are filled to their maximum recommended volume, there is less chance of rippling (seeing or feeling "ripples" especially on the side and bottom of your breast) and less chance of rupture.  Especially if you are wanting a rounder, higher, more projected look, you should fill the implants to their maximum fill volume.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Saline filled breast implants and fill ranges of volume

+1

AS implants are filled within their fill range, at the low end they are more flatter,  wider and dome like whereas at the upper end they are rounder, narrower, and project more.

High Profile Breast Implant Fill Ranges

+1

Regarding:"Breast Implant Fill Ranges?
Went for my pre- op appointment today and PS ordered Mentor high profile 560cc implants but said they can be filled up to 675cc. What is the difference in appearance if the fill them low,mid,or high range or the implant specifications? I currently have 400 cc implants and want them higher,rounder, and bigger. I'm just conceded about the appearance with the fill? If I fill them to 675 will they be rounder than at 600 or will that not make a difference?if I fill them at 560 will the have ripples
?"

Every woman has a slightly different view of what is attractive in general and what would look good on her. Unfortunately, achieving THAT look would depend not only on the versatility of the surgeon, the fill range of the implant but on the shape and slant of your chest wall, the amount of breast tissue cover your have and the amount and stretchiness of your current breast skin.

You picked the second biggest high profile breast implant Mentor makes.

The Mentor HP breast implant (style 3000) was designed to be filled anywhere from 560cc to 675cc
560 cc fill - implant base diameter 13.4 cm with an implant height (projection) of 5.7 cm
620 cc fill - implant base diameter drops to 13.3 cm with an implant height (projection) increasing to 6.4 cm
675 cc fill - implant base diameter drops to  13.1 cm with an implant height (projection) increasing to  7.3 cm

If your current 400 cc implants are Mentor HP implants they should measure 11 cm by 6.2 cm in height.

By going with these new HP implants they will be wider, much more projecting ("torpedo" territory) and heavier.Be sure this is where you want to go.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Saline Breast Implant Fill Ranges

+1

As described in the answers an implant acts just like a balloon, the more you fill it the harder it will get. You should also think about the weight of the saline implant and consider a silicone implant as it is significantly lighter and inherently ripples a good deal less than saline implants.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Overfill vs. implant shape.

+1

In general, as one overfills the implant, the projection increses while the diameter decreases.  This is true in all saline implants.  Rippling will occur if too much overfill, or too little fill is present.

Hope this helps.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Overfilling of saline implants

+1

As you have no doubt already learned, each manufacturer recommends a fill range for their saline filled implants. Filling to the minimum volume usually results in an implant that performs well but will have collapse of the shell to some degree when you are upright. This may not be visible but will increase the risk of ripples occurring. Any collapse of the shell could also lead to premature shell fatigue and subsequent rupture. Filling the implant closer to the maximum value recommended will result in an implant that is rounder, firmer and more projecting. Although it is common practice to fill close to the implant fill maximum to reduce the risk of ripples, this approach may not effect the rate of problematic ripples developing. Maximal filling is also likely to cause scalloping of the implant edge. Overfilling  beyond the manufacturers recommended range is not advisable and can void the warrantee if the shell fails.

You already have a larger than average breast implant and moving to a 500 or 600 cc implant size may meet your desires in the short term but you need to think long term. Larger implants, heavier implants, harder and more projecting implants are going to cause more thinning of your breast tissue, more stretch and ultimately faster sagging and more problems. Even if you think that having revisional surgery often is something you are prepared for financially, are you prepared to have permanent stretching of your breast that may not be possible to correct as a result of the larger implants? More problems and the need for breast lifting and or other maintenance surgeries are very likely down the road if you choose very large implants.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Saline implant overfilling changes the shape of the implant

+1

The easiest way to visualize what happens to a saline breast implant when it is 'overfilled' is that the implant's diameter reduces, the projection increases- it becomes more spherical. Implant overfilling can also lead to scalloping along the edges of the implant. Don't get me wrong- implant overfilling is a good thing, but significant overfilling can make a nicely shaped implant into a round ball.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

The Fill Volume of Saline Implants Affects Their Appearance and Feel

+1

The manufacturer sets a fill range for each size of saline implant. If filled below the minimum volume (base volume of the implant), there will significant rippling and a higher incidence of early implant rupture and deflation. If filled beyond the maximum volume, the implants will feel very firm bordering on unnaturally hard. Where in the fill range of the implants to stop is a matter of intraoperative judgment. For a fuller and more firm implant result, the higher end of the fill range is used. While either end of the fill volume creates these differences, they become less obvious in the middle range of the fill volumes. Since your revisional breast implant surgery goal is rounder, fuller and higher, you would be best served to be closer to the maximum fill volume. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Saline implant overfilling reduces rippling.

+1

Filling Mentor high profile 560cc implants to 675cc is at the "maximum fill" recommendation by the implant manufacturer. This will give a higher, rounder, more firm look and feel than lower fill amounts. At 560cc I would anticipate visible or palpable rippling. Somewhere in between these values is the "perfect" amount for you and your tissues, though this can change with aging and eventual skin stretch.

Although this may already be a moot point, have you considered silicone gel implants? The latest generation of these implants are cohesive, cannot leak or rupture, have a much more natural "feel" compared to the rather firm "feel" of maximally overfilled saline implants, and require only a few millimeters longer scar. Perhaps this is an option that may reduce the likelihood of reoperation for leakage, deflation, excessive firmness, or rippling.

I hope this helps; best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon