Implant Feels Like It Doesn't Fit in Pocket?

I had an augmentation 6 years ago. Two revisions for CC, two more to go down in size. Each time my left side felt it doesn't fit in pocket. I can always feel it slide to left. If feels heavy and uncomfortable. My ps doesn't see any reason for it, but I know there must be a solution. Please help. Have you ever heard of this? Also feels numb on top of breast.

Breast Implant Movement and Pocket Repair

+1

If, on physical exam, the implant lateralizes or moves the side underneath the armpit, the pocket can be closed to prevent this.

Breast Implant Moving

+1

If you went with smaller implants later, the pocket which the implant is sitting in may be larger than the implant. The sensation you are feeling may be the implant "floating around" in the large pocket. If this bothers you, it would be possible to adjust the size of the pocket appropriately. Either suturing the pocket smaller or making an entirely new pocket could adjust the pocket size and position to improve the implant position and restrict its movement.

Michael Horn, MD

Downsizing

+1

If you have downsized and the pocket did not contract at all then your implant may feel like it is floating around in a large pocket. Usually when down sizing I will put internal sutures to close the pocket off so it isn't so large anymore. This could be what you are experiencing although the best person to say would be your plastic surgeon.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast Implant Displacement Problem?

+1

Based on your description, it sounds like you may be dealing with a  breast implant displacement problem. In other words, your breast implant may be moving to the side  when you are in certain positions. Patients who experience this issue may experience the sensation of discomfort or “heaviness”.

The solution to breast implant displacement/malposition problems is often internal suture reconstruction ( capsulorraphy)  of the involved breast implant pocket (s).  This internal suture repair helps keep the breast implants in the correct position and MAY  help alleviate symptoms of discomfort etc.

You will likely benefit from in-person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant experience with revisionary breast surgery.  During this consultation process you will be able to demonstrate the problem you are experiencing and weigh the pros/cons of further surgical procedures.

Breast implant sliding to side

+1

Sometimes the sensation of the implant sliding to the side is due to the pocket being too big. Sometimes a capsulorrhaphy is necessary. I couldn't say without an exam.

Too wide a pocket.

+1

Thanks for your post. Your breast pocket might be too wide which is common occurrence years after breast implants. Talk to your plastic surgeon about using sutures to close the pocket or using a dermal graft to assist in closing the pocket. Remember, any intervention could increase the risks of contracture returning. Be sure it's worth it for you to undergo surgery and take on new risks. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Implant Malposition and Numbness

+1

Based on your description, I gather that the left implant slides to the outer part of your chest wall when you are laying on your back. If this is the case, the pocket on the left can be repaired by placing internal sutures (capsulorrhaphy) within the implant pocket to improve the position of your implant. With regard to the numbness, if you have had numbness since your first surgery 6 years ago, then this will be a permanent symptom.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD