Should I Do Implant (Expensive) or Fixed Bridges (Less Expensive)?

I have about a 4mm gap between my two front bottom teeth. I decided to get it close since Im still 19. I thought it was alittle gap and went to see the orthodontist to get braces or Invisalign. However the dentist pointed out I actually was missing two front teeth which i never knew and havent heard from my dentist. She said I may have a chance to still have two missing teeth in my gums. She said there two option whether to implant or bridge. Implant just develop few years and depends on the surgeon.

Implant or Bridge For Missing Incisors

+1

The main question to have the answer to would be are those teeth impacted under the bone or were you congenitally missing them?  If they are impacted you may be able to have them exposed and moved into place with orthodontics.  If they are completely missing then I would opt for dental implants over fixed bridges.  It may cost a little more but you will preserve the tooth structure of the  four adjacent teeth.  Good luck.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Implant or bridge option

+1

Implants are an excellent way to replace missing teeth, even standard of care in 2011.  However, it seems like right now the space between your teeth is too small for implants to be placed.  The ideal way to treat would be to use braces to open that space to hold at least one (but better two)  teeth.  A good orthodontist can assess this for you. Then you can have two implants placed.   With proper care, the implants may never require further treatment.  

A bridge, on the other hand, is unlikely to last a lifetime, and at 19 years old you could expect to replace that bridge more than twice over your lifetime. So that fact that it may (or may not) be a less expensive option becomes not relevant when you consider the cost over your lifetime of retreatment to those teeth.

I would caution, however, that there has been research done that says adults can continue to have jaw growth beyond their teens into the 20's, especially for men. This can affect the long-term esthetics and bite if not properly handled. So after having orthodontic treatment, an experienced cosmetic/restorative dentist can advise about the right time to place implants.

Good luck!

Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

IMplant versus a Fixed Bridge??

+1

This question comes up a lot and is somewhat straight forward.  Although an implant cost more up front, a bridge may cost you many times more over a lifetime.  Implants are theoretically the only thing in dentistry that is supposed to last a lifetime!  You cannot get cavities in an implant. Th ebridge can get a cavity which if one fo th eteeth gets a cavity, then the entire bridge must be replaced therefore immediately surpassing the original cost fo the implant. Using an implant also offers easy access to flossign which is essential to both an implant and a bridge.  Please discuss this with your dentist and he should show you a shorrt video of the procedure.  Implant placement is very easy for a periodontist or a surgeon to place and also very uneventful for you as a patient. The results are outstanding and natural.  You'll be very pleased when you are complete. 

Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Bridge or Implant

+1

It is hard to give a definitive answer without a complete examination but if you are 19 years old I would without a doubt recommend an implant rather than a bridge.  With a bridge you prepare teeth on either side and an implant is placed in the bone having nothing to do with the neighboring teeth.  IMPLANT!!!

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Closing spaces between teeth moving, implanting or bridging?

+1

Your question is multifaceted.  I'm not sure I am getting the whole scenario but let me give it a try.  You have a 4mm space between lower incisors.  Your dentist said you only have 2 incisors instead of normal 4 incisors.  You first need to find out where those missing incisors are, if they are in the bone then need to deal with them, if they are not in the bone and are congenitally missing then options are:

1) Close space by moving teeth if bite allows it.

2) Design the space so that a suitable replacement can be made, this may be an implant or a fixed bridge.

Implants have a slightly higher initial investment than a traditional fixed bridge but the long term costs of a bridge, both financial and biological, are much higher.  You need to thoroughly discuss with your dentist the best approach.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist