Implant Exchange on Old Implants - Keep on Top of Muscle or Move Under?

I've had 450cc saline textured implants on top of the muscle for 16 yrs. I've had 3 more children since that time, & they are too big and saggy now. I have consulted 2 surgeons. 1 is willing to put them under the muscle, claiming that the breast lift will keep them in the new pocket. The other insists I should keep them on top due to built up scar tissue & the possibility of them moving from under the muscle to the old pocket on top. I had planned to go under, but now I don't know what to do!

Placement of New Implants

+3

I agree that an exam or photo would be helpful; however, if you have 3 children since your initial augmentation it is likely that you have lost a significant amount of upper pole breast tissue.  This would increase the argument for moving your new implants to a submuscular location.  I also have never had implants migrate from a submuscular to a subglandular position.

Implant Exchange and Mastopexy - Breast Lift

+2

Without pre-op pictures or examining you in person, it is hard to give you specific advice as there is not a universal answer for all patients.  However, if you are going to keep the same implants and there is enough tissue coverage, then I would leave them where they are.  However, I think you will get a better result from removing your current implants, placing silicone gel implants under the muscle and then performing the mastopexy.  While there would be added cost for replacing the implants instead of using the old one, I would really recommend making that kind of investment.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Moving implants under the muscle

+2

There are two reasons to consider moving your breast implants under the muscle. The first is capsular contracture of subglandular breast implants. The under the muscle location can give the implants a new start in a new location, and under the muscle implants do have a lower risk of contacture. The second is thinning over the implant with a rounded upper edge or ripple which has become visible through the skin. If neither is a problem the current pocket can be adjusted to the smaller implant with a comfortable recovery. A breast lift however will not keep the implant in the new under the muscle pocket.

peterejohnsonmd

+2

Read Drs Rand and Aldea's posts a few times, they are offering you the correct advise. Go under the muscle. 

+2

I agree with Dr. Rand. There are few benefits for putting smaller implants in the same pocket and a lot more potential disadvantages. For an augmented breast to look great, the pocket must be custom dissected for the implant. Your present pockets would be too large for the new, smaller implants resulting in a poor cosmetic result. In addition, we know from new research on implant infection and biofilms that if your implant pocket is not already contaminated the operation may result in such bacterial seeding with a higher potential rate of scarring around the implants (Contracture).

A submuscular pocket allows a fresh start with the new implants. It would afford better implant coverage and a much better chance for a good long term result.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Submuscular implant exchange

+2

More often than not, I would do a submuscular exchange because the implants will look better and stay higher than above the muscle. I have never had a patient slip from under to over the muscle and I close off the pocket connection so that can't happen.  The only time I stay above the muscle is if you have zero capsular contracture and don't want the extra recovery of the submuscular pocket creation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Replacement of Breast Implants to Submuscular Position

+1

Given your description replacing implants in the sub muscle position is the best way to go in my opinion.  This may or may not be possible depending on your specific situation.

Generally, it is possible to replace implants under the pectoralis muscle (dual plane).  However, the major issue of concern is the overlying breast tissue and skin and whether further surgery will be necessary to achieve the aesthetic  results desired.  For example, some patients who have implants replaced into the sub pectoral space may benefit from breast lifting to achieve the desired goals.

This type of surgery does require some level of experience. It would behoove you to seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed in revisionary breast surgery.

Reaugmentation mastopexy and pocket selection.

+1

With larger implants and sagging breast tissue, it is advisable to switch the pocket from the subglandular position to the submuscular position. This allows for improved camouflage of the implants and improved cosmesis of the breasts. With the addition of a mastopexy to correct the shape of the breasts, the implants are very unlikely to flip to the subglandular pocket.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Change from above the muscle to under the muscle?

+1

You have textured saline implants above the muscle. You do not mention that you have visible rippling of hte implant, despite the fact that these implants in this position has the higest risk of visible rippling.  It sounds like you are wanting smaller implants and that you need a lift.  If your implants are soft without capsular contracture, and you have thick enough tissue that you are not seeing visible rippling even with textured saline implants ablove the muscle, then it may not be that essential to place your new implants to under the muscle, especially if you are changing to silicone gel implants.  On the other hand, if you do have a prominent upper edge and some visible rippling or a capsular contracture, these are all good reasons to change pocket position to subpectoral.  The only disadvantage of the new subpectoral pockets is more discomfort during the post-op recovery from releasing the muscle, and some distortion of the breast that occurs when you contract your muscle, which is only visible when your clothes are off.  These are a small price to pay for better tissue coverage IF that is needed.  I have never had an implant move from a new subpectoral back to the old subglandular pocket, as I close this old pocket off, so that should not affect your decision. 

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Exchange implants and pocket

+1

To determine which pocket to place them in really depends upon your anatomy and preference.  In  most cases, I place them under the muscle because it provides more soft tissue coverage in the upper pole.  An exam would be key.