How Long Will It Take for Second Implant to Drop?

If one implant drops first, how long can I expect the other to follow suit? Thank you

+1

How Long Will It Take for Second Implant to Drop? There are two many variables here to give you a direct answer.

Implant settlement occurs over time

+1

Hi there-

If your implants are smooth and are under your muscles, you are correct that there is often a bit of "settling" that occurs...

This is generally completed by around 3-4 weeks.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Implants settling

+1

Smooth implants will naturally push up if they are placed under the muscle, and will eventually come down as the muscle relaxes.  This can be variable and one may drop sooner than the other. Give it at least 3-4 months. 

Dropping breast implants

+1

Breast implants do not "drop". I agree with the first response that the implant position has to be correct at the time of the surgery (although It's not necessary to sit the patient up to determine this) and then get it healed in the correct position. It doesn't make sense to position an implant in one place and hope it ends up in another. 

The reason it seems that implants drop is the tissue reaction to the surgery. There will be stiffness in the area below the implant during the initial recovery and there is little or none above the implant. Since implants are soft and compressible, this makes them expand to the up side since there is less stiffness there and eventually expand the lower side when the tissues recover. The visual effect of this is what makes it looks as if the implant "drops". 

In general it takes two weeks to be sure the implants are healed in the proper position and then tissue recovery (rehab if it was an orthopedic procedure) takes another month or more. Massage can help the tissues recover faster but everyone is different and one side can definitely recover faster than the other side just as if you had both your knees operated on. There is no way to force or predict this. If you are within six weeks of the surgery then I wouldn't worry and expect the other side to catch up. If it's been more than six weeks and one side isn't behaving properly then there may be some other problem. A minimum of three months would be needed to determine full recovery and longer periods are sometimes recommended. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants should look good right away.

+1

Hi.

1)  I know this is not what you want to hear, but the notion that breast implants have to "drop" is a  myth.  When doing breast augmentation in NYC, we sit the patient up before finishing the operation (you are still asleep of course) to make absolutely sure the implants are exactly where they should be.

1)  If one of your implants is too high, it may have to be surgically lowered in a few months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant settling

+1

There's no exact answer to this, but most implants will come down within 4-6 weeks after surgery.  It's not unusual for one to do this before the other one.  Be patient and if you still notice a big difference after 6 weeks, ask your surgeon to examine you.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS