2 Months Post-Op, Has My Implant Not Dropped or Is This Capsular Contracture? (photo)

8 weeks post aug.,left breast is higher/tighter than right.Surgeon thinks muscle hasn't released the implant,but at Aspen Medical (they specialize in utrasound treatment for capsular contracture),they think it's contracted.Scar at nipple is equally soft on both breasts;at the base of the breast I can feel the implants edges and they seem equally soft there, but not if I squeeze directly; also left is not as mobile as right.Any way to tell if not dropped or CC?How long to wait before correction?

Encapsulation?

+1

Thanks for the question and picture.

I would suggest that you  continue to follow-up and trust in the diagnosis and treatment plan provided by your plastic surgeon as opposed to the ultrasound treatment facility. Direct physical examination is the best way to differentiate between the 2 possible etiologies and your operating plastic surgeon is best equipped to do so.

Probably Not Dropped

+1

Capsular contracture is a diagnosis that is made on physical examination and refers to firmness in the scar tissue around the implant. Only the most severe contractures can be visualized (Bakers 3-4). If all feels soft, then it is more likely that the left implant has just not completely settled. I would agree with your surgeon. Try a superior band and if not successful, plan to lower the implant at about 6 months postop. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

High implant or capsular contracture

+1

It is hard to tell just from your picture if you have a capsular contracture or just a high implant on the left. I find it odd that you have been diagnosed as having a contracture when your breasts feel the same at the scar and in the lower portion of the breasts. It is not too late to try to move the left implant down with an ace wrap. It's hard to do yourself, but get a good six inch ace wrap and wrap it firmly above your left breast but below your right breast. This can  help even out the position of your implants but will probably fail you actually do have a contracture.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon