Will Implant Company Help with Costs for Just a Breast Lift Since This is the Second Time Implant Deflates on Me?

Have Mcghan saline implants. Second time left one deflates after a mammogram. Thinking of just pulling them out and doing a good breast lift instead. Heard about Ultimate Breast Lift but not sure how to find one in Louisiana. I feel like the implant company should help with costs of whichever I choose to do because their product has failed me twice. Just because something is free doesn't mean I should take it if its crap.

You may not need a lift...

+3

Great question!  Unfortunately, your warranty will not cover a breast lift.  You could replace them with a cohesive gel implant if you'd like.  But you also could just have the implants removed - and may not even need a lift.  Without pictures and an exam it's hard to know for sure, but it's a common misconception to think implant removal will leave breasts 'deflated' or 'saggy.'  I would have a consultation with your current surgeon about your options.  Best of luck.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+2

If these are really McGhan implants they have had a long lifespan, since that company has been known as Inamed since 1986, and now Allergan for the past 7 years, and the implants have born the name of the corporate title. 

I do understand your frustration. If the implants are greater than 5 or for some warranties 10 years, the only coverage the manufacturers offer is replacement of the implant. Were you to choose to switch to silicone, they would probably discount the cost by the price of the salines.  If less than 5 to 10 years, there would also be a monetary benefit. Your plastic surgeon can help sort this out.

As to getting a lift, it is hard to comment without photos. Some patients do well with simple removal of the implants.

All the best. 

+2

Sorry to hear about your problems.  Unfortunately, the implants company's warranty covers replacing the implant and some money towards the cost of the implant.

Just realize that a beast lift alone may lave you a little deflated.  You should consider either cohesive silicone implants as a replacement or if you do not want implants at all, you may want a little fat placed in the upper poles of the breast to give you a little fullness.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Deflation of implants

+2

We as plastic surgeons understand your frustration, because we are frustrated too with multiple deflations. However, the implant compnay has no control over the implant once it is inside your body. Their warranty covers for exchange, and not lift. You might want to consider changing to gel implants, which are harder to break. Removing the implants and only lifting the breast will actually give you smaller breasts without fullness. Your surgeon could dicuss with your implant company about a discounted rate for the gel implants. Gluck to you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear Winebeauty,

Thank you for your question.  I understand your frustration.  However, if you do just a breast lift, you will not have the fullness to the upper portion of your breast that you are used to with implants.  I would suggest converting to a new 'gummy bear' highly cohesive silicone implant.  These implants are very hard to rupture and much more durable.  If your implants are still under warranty (commonly 10 years) then the implant manufacture may allow substitution to these implants minus a cost differential.  

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Do implant manufacturers cover breast lift?

+1

I am sorry to hear about your problem.  You should always tell the mammographer that you have implants.  McGhan warrants the implants against leakage and, if a post-removal evaluation demonstrates a defective product, it will provide a substitute implant and a fixed amount toward surgery, within 5 years, pursuant to the warranty.   However, a lift is an entirely different procedure and I don't believe that McGhan would be responsible. McGhan and Mentor are two of the most reliable companies in the implant market and I wouldn't call their products "crap". If you disagree, then I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer directly to inquire.

Robert L. Kraft, MD