Which Implant Should I Choose? Anatomical or Round?

I will have a breast implant operation.I have chosen my surgeon,but I am not sure which implant is best.I play tennis twice or three times a week.if I have the anatomical implant, would it be problematic for me as anatomycal implants have malrotation risk.My surgeon says that %80 of his implants are anatomical and that he hasn't had any problems regarding his patients so far. My breast volume is very small and I know that anatomical implants would suit look better on me. What's your opinion?

Round vs. anatomical implants

+3

When anatomical implants where first released, I used them frequently. Imfind now that i reserve anatomical implants only for tall thin patients with smaller breasts who want to havelarger implants. In other patients i do not see an advantage. The rotation problem is possible but rarely occurs if the pocket for the implant is made properly. If you are very active and not having a large augmentation discuss round implants with your PS.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

+2

I agree with the other doctors

I prefer smooth round implants.I feel they give the most natural feel ,and the least amount of complications.I also prefer the placing the implants above the muscle ,under the fascia

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

I am not a fan of anatomic breast implants

+2

I prefer to use smooth round implants. This allows for a natural appearance because the implant is constantly spinning, rotating, and bouncing like a normal breast. The anatomic implants are designed to be "stuck" in place so that they do not rotate and end up upside down or sideways. I find them to be firm and unnatural. A classic MRI study showed that the smooth round gel implants are exactly the same shape as anatomic implants when the patient is standing because smooth round implants assume a tear drop shape.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Implants

+2

I prefer round implants because of the issue of rotation. If you ask the implant sales representative what they sell the most, they are the round ones.

Anatomical vs round implants?i

+1

I stopped using anatomical implants over a decade ago. There just was no visible difference and only the disadvantages of the asymmetric textured implant. I am curious how you "know" the anatomical implants will look better on you. Since you are comfortable with your PS I recommend following his recommendation. Best of luck!

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

One type of implant does not work best for all patients

+1

The access to and experience with different types of implants, different shapes and features will influence your surgeon's recommendations. In Canada, we have had access to anatomical shaped cohesive gel implants for breast augmentation since 2002. In selected patients, these can achieve an improved final breast appearance with a low risk of complications such as mal-rotation. There are substantial differences between the anatomical implants available from different manufacturers so experience with each one if very important to advise patients. Carefully discuss the shape and size issues that are important to you and allow your Plastic Surgeon to explain the pros and cons of each.

Complications can occur with any implant choice even with carefully performed surgery so I would ask a few more questions rather than accept the comment that "he hasn't had any problems so far". With a better understanding of your options, the risks and benefits, etc. you can make an informed decision. Good luck!

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical impl

+1

I agree the most important is which surgeon you have chosen. I would just be sure your doc uses anatomical implants regularly. If so they are a great choice. They should be fine with tennis as long as you follow your doctors advice about time to heal. 

Good luck

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Round vs anatomical implants

+1

Anatomical implants are firmer, less forgiving, and require a significantly longer incision. I use them mainly in bilateral breast reconstruction. You can get a very natural look with round gel implants. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Round or “Anatomical” Breast Implants?

+1

I think that you have already made the most important decision;  selection of plastic surgeon (in my opinion)  is far more important than selection of breast implant shape. You will find that each plastic surgeon has his/her preferences and “expertise”;  once you have entrusted your care to a plastic surgeon (after careful due diligence)  I would suggest that you allow him/her to use whatever “tools” necessary to achieve the results you are looking for.

Personally, I prefer the round  implants  in my practice;  again, I would not argue with your plastic surgeon if  he/she can demonstrate significant successful outcomes with minimal complication rates.