Which Implant Should I Choose? (photo)

I am having a revision surgery involving a switch to silicone implants and a lift. I currently have Allergan saline 465 filled to 475, under the muscle. I am 5'6, 125 lbs. I want my end result to look something like the picture above but am unsure of whether to go with Allergan moderate plus or high profile to achieve this look. I also need to choose between the 425 or 450 range

Choosing breast implant size

+1

Allergan and Mentor have similar products.  The decision to exchange the implants is a good one.  The volume should be decided after performing breast measurements to determine the width and volume of your native breasts. 

Which Implant Should I Choose?

+1

Whatever you do you will probably do well to have a breast lift as well as the implant change. The right nipple and areaolar are rather low, and the implant position you are seeking requires the breast to be lifted. 

The implant position you demonstrate looks unattractively high, and your surgeon can help sort out what is possible. If you want the implant to be splayed out as you demonstrate, you are better off with a wider implant (moderate or moderate plus) to give more upper, medial and lateral fullness. 

As far as size, there is not much of a noticeable difference between the two you prefer. Again, to get to what you are demonstrating, you might prefer  to maintain your current size or choose something a little larger. Your surgeon can help. 

Thanks, best wishes

Revision Breast Augmentation

+1

If you REALLY want the upper poles of your breast to look like the one you are holding, you will need a very large implant indeed, and you will have very large breasts.  This contradicts my assumption that you wanted smaller breasts based on your desire for smaller implants than you currently have. You can't have both fuller upper poles (at least like you are showing) and smaller implants, even with a breast lift. 

One thing is for certain though, high profile implants will not help you.

You will need to have an honest conversation with your surgeon about what you want.  It may very well be impossible to achieve, and if so, your surgeon will hopefully guide you towards what is possible.  Be sure that you see photographs of revision patients to see if you can find a good example of what you want.  It is very important that you pick a surgeon that is expert in complex surgeries like the kind you'll need.  It starts with certification by the ABPS, then membership in the ASAPS, and finally reputation in the community as a revision breast specialist.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant choice

+1

If you want the look of the pushed up breast that you demonstrate in the photo, you probably need a lift as well.  It is always best to be examined in person.

Breast Augmentation Revision and Exchange of Breast Implants in Los Angeles

+1

to improve upper breast fullness it helps to exchange your breasts implants with larger ones that are at least 100 ccs larger. High profile implant will not help to fill the upper breast pole and would only increase forward breast projection. You will also benefit from a breast lift to raise your nipple as well as the lower breast mass to a normal hight. switching from saline to silicone implants will not change anything in your breast look.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Avoid High profile implants! the best results rely on technique for projection not the implant!

+1

Profile is one of the most misunderstood issues in breast augmentation by patients and surgeons alike.  Believe it or not you will need to go low profile to get a filled out look.  One of the most important parameters (and most overlooked) in breast augmentation is the base width of the goal breast footprint.  If you go submuscular again, all bets are off because the muscle will push the implant laterally and you cannot fill the breast footprint adequately.  If you choose a true subfascial plane, then it is possible to fill the breast footprint from less then 1cm from midline to the lateral fold creating a breast profile that actually fits your body.  The problem with high profile implants is that they are really just narrow implants.  Projection of the breast has  a lot more to do with technique applied then the name of the implant.  choosing narrow implants makes subpectoral/dual-plane implantation easier but will never result in a natural appearing result.  I would advise choosing a true subfascial approach and a surgeon that can help guide you to choose an implant that fits your body appropriately.  I hope this helps.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Choosing your Breast Implant Size

+1

In regards to breast size, the more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
If surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.