Implant Has Broken Through Incision & is Visible. What's the Next Step?

Remove implant & capsule scar tissue? New implant after the breast tissue heals? Wait until Herceptin infusions done? Forget having an implant in the right breast. Mastectomies were 2 months ago.

Exposed breast implant

+3

Whether you have implants for aesthetic or reconstrucive procedures and have  a visible implant the only possibility for initial treatment for the condition is to remove te implant for the time being.  At some later time, perhaps 6 months or so, the breast may be reaugmented.  Allow your Plastic Surgeon  to guide you with this decision.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Exposed implant

+2

Unfortunately, once an implant has become exposed, the best and most reliable option is to have it removed, allow your body to heal and recover, and then start the reconstructive process over again -- either using implants again or your own tissue in the form of a flap (TRAM flap, DIEP flap, Latissimus flap, etc).  I know that it can be frustrating, but there are a number of reasons why implants can become exposed -- many of which are not under our control such as infection, radiation, etc.  I would recommend that you discuss your options with your plastic surgeon.  He or she should be able to guide you, and then both of you can come up with the best option for you.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Exposed Breast Implant

+2

Hi,

I am sorry that you had to go through this. For now, taking the implant out is very important. After you heal from your surgery, you can have a new implant inserted.

I encourage you to keep your communicating with your surgeon as he/she knows best of your surgery. I understand that you have been going through a rough time but being on the same page with your surgeon is the best thing to get commendable results.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your question.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Implant exposure

+2

With implant or tissue expander exposure, you will need to have it removed.  You can have a revision reconstruction in a few months once everything is healed.

Exposure of Breast Implant and Treatment?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Hopefully you have been seen by your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you.

Generally speaking, a variety of options are available to treat patients in your situation. Most commonly, however  implant exposure will necessitate removal of the breast implant (or expander). More than likely, breast re-augmentation can be performed several months down the line. Exactly when this reaugmentation is performed will depend on your specific clinical situation and your plastic surgeon's evaluation/judgment.

Again, the first step would be to make sure your plastic surgeon is aware of your complication.

Implant is broken though incision and is visible. What is the next step?

+1

What has happened is the implant has broken through the capsule and is now in direct contact with the outside environment, therefore, it could be contaminated.  If there is no infection noted the wound can be flushed, as well as, the implant with Betadine solution, a small drain placed in the other area beside this broken down area and repaired and closed.  Followed with antibiotic therapy.  The drains being removed approximately 3 to 4 days later and hope that infection does not occur.  If infection does occur the implant has to come out and you have to wait at least 3 to 6 months to replace.

John S. Poser, MD