Has my Implant Bottomed Out? (photo)

I have had four capsular contracture surgeries on my left breast; the most recent surgery in August.While the capsule has finally been fully released, my left breast now hangs significantly lower than my right.My PS said that it's the way it should be and my right one is actually high.My right breast is soft and I have never had a problem;it is very natural looking.I fear that my left implant has now bottomed out but my surgeon disagrees.The unevenness shows in my clothes and I can't wear a bra.

Bottoming out?

+2

Yes, you do have significant breast asymmetry and I think you will benefit from further revisionary surgery.  I would wait as close to 9 months - 1 year before making such decision.  The revisionary surgery may involve capsulorrhaphy (internal suture repair) of the inferior aspect of the left breast implant pocket (+/- the use of AlloGraft for additional support).

No bottoming out

+1

it would help to see the before surgery photos.  But based on this photo I would say you don't have bottoming out.  It is too early to say if you will need further surgery or if you will bottom out.  I would wait at least 6 to 12 months.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Asymmetry after multiple operations for capsular contracture

+1

In a nutshell, the best advice is to wait and be sure the contracture doesn't recur. I have had very good success with recurrent contractures using Strattice, which helps prevent bottoming out because each capsulaectomy removes more tissue (and therefore more support). It seems to be helpful in preventing contractures as well.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

You breasts  are certainly asymmetric, as all breasts are in some sense. It is always nice to review earlier pre-ops and compare them. DIfficult to comment without an exam, etc....

Malpositioned Breast Implant After Capsular Release

+1

Your left breast implant has bottomed out and that is a common price to be paid for a capsular release. While it is less than ideal, considering a fifth revision to lift and tuck the inframammary fold on that side does give one understandable hesitancy. I would wait at least 6 months and be certain that capsular contracture does not return before considering a fold adjustment. You would like some confidence that a fifth revision does not lead to a sixth.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Has my Implant Bottomed Out? (photo)

+1

Yes based upon the post your have an asymmetry and slight bottoming out. Plus indented N/A complex on left. Seek in person second opin ions. 

Bottoming out of Implant

+1

Hard to tell for sure because of camera angle, and no comparison filme.

However, there is asymmetry and the left nipple being higher is suggestive.

To be fair, you have a complex situation.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Implant low after four capsule repairs

+1

After a fourth release of a capsular contracture most would consider it a success if the implant remained soft, though it is apparent in your photo that the pocket sits slightly lower, and the implant appears a little larger than the 'good' breast. You could reduce the implant size and raise the fold to improve symmetry, but at what trade-off. After four goes at it you might be best to give it a year or two as more revisions can indeed make things worse.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com