Has my Implant Bottomed Out?

I'm about 11 days post op and I noticed that my left breastimplant definitely has fallen a bit lower, even past the fold where he made the incision. I am left-handed, but I read that they would usually drop slower on your dominant hand. How do I know if it's the normal "drop" or bottoming out? I'm seeing the doctor for a follow up in two days. Should I try to go a day earlier? Or is it not that serious? Do most plastic surgeons usually fix it if it is bottoming out because HE made the pocket too big?

Bottoming out

+1

Without photos at a minimum and certailny a physical exam, it is difficult to tell you what is going on. You should see your doctor if you have concerns.

Has my Implant Bottomed Out?

+1

Wtihout potos it is difficult to assess your problem but from your description it sounds as if your IMF has been disrupted. I would discuss this with your surgeon but consider 24/7 use of an undeerwire bra to support the crease if permitted.

Too early to know outcome of surgery

+1

Hi there-

It would be too early to say (especially without an exam) what might be going on...

Be conscientious about following your surgeon's instructions and keep all of your appointments. After 6 weeks, if it still is not what you expected, discuss it with them constructively.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Too early to say on a bottoming-out implant

+1

There are a lot of changes to the augmented breast in the first couple of weeks post-op. Your implant might be settling into the pocket, but perhaps the scar was placed a little high. Time will tell. See your plastic surgeon on the scheduled post-op day and get his/her opinion. Bottoming out of an implant represents failure of the infra-mammary fold to support the implant, allowing the implant to 'slide' down below the IMF.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Implant Settling Post Operatively

+1

This is definitely something you need to discuss with your surgeon. Frequently, the "rate of settling" varies post operatively from side to side. This usually evens out after a month or so. There is no urgency in reporting this to your surgeon since you are seeing him in two days.

Robert C. Bledsoe, Jr., MD

Implant position after surgery

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be the best to tell you after examining you at your office visit. We typically place the incision as close to the fold as we can to best hide it so if it is lower it is possible that implant may have settled a little farther than desired. I would recommend you wear good support until your visit unless you can get in to see your plastic surgeon sooner.

I hope this helps

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast implant malposition

+1

It's often hard to judge results this soon after surgery.  It's possible that the implant is bottoming out, or you may just have some residual swelling which makes it difficult to assess.  I suggest keeping your appointment in two days and speaking to your surgeon at that time about your concerns.  In some cases, we place a strap on the patient to help support the implant in this early period.  Ask your surgeon about the procedure related to correction, if necessary.  In most cases it's a minor procedure.  Best wishes and good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Implants too low

+1

If the bottom of the pocket is too low, it might be possible to wear a band or underwire bra constantly to influence the inframammary fold position since you are quite early post-op. After a while, the pocket will be set and barring a contracture problem the implant will always tend to go lower not higher.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD