Can I Get an Implant and Wait for the Crown Until I Straighten my Teeth?

I was wondering if I could get an implant and then have braces put on. Once my teeth would straighten I could get the final crown. The implant would be in the front upper teeth. The surrounding teeth do not need straightening but I do have some overcrowding on my bottom teeth and also on the back upper teeth. Suggestions? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Braces before implants

+1

In my experience I have seen greater results when braces are done before the implant is actually placed. There is a lot of bone movement when teeth are being shifted with braces so it would be a good idea to let all the shifting be complete before and implant is placed in the bone, for maximum stability. The braces could even give more space for the implant if it is necessary. Hopefully this makes sense, it would be easier for you to visually see how your jaw bone is specifically with a panoramic xray also.

Lancaster Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics prior to implant placement

+1

Since you have stated that the implant is in the front of your mouth I would definitely recommend having the orthodontics done first.   Dental implants will not move once placed and movements will be needed in the esthetic area.  Wait until the ortho is complete.  You will be much happier with the result

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Restore implant with final crown after orthodontics? Yes it is possible

+1

This is a management decision that your orthodontist and implant dentist can plan towards.  Once you loose a tooth the supporting jaw bone will tend to shrink making it more challenging to place and restore a dental implant. It may be important therefore not to delay this event depending on your case.   A good time to place an implant can be during a course of orthodontics and the orthodontist can place archwires and brakets to accommodate the implant placement.  With your implant dentist and orthodontist working together you should have little to worry about.  Doing orthodontics first and then implant placement will drag out treatment time which is the main disadvantage of this approach. 

London Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant after orthodontic treatment

+1

I agree the majority of orthodontic movement should be completed prior to placement of dental implant. Proper placement of implant is imperative for the proper cosmetic result.

Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Can I Get a Dental Implant and Wait for the Crown Until I Straighten my Teeth?

+1

One of the keys to success with dental implants is to have the cosmetic dentist decide exactly where the implant should go. If you want amazing results with your front teeth, I would wait to have your implant until after your teeth are straightened.

One more tip: make sure the cosmetic dentist sees you about 2-3 months before any braces come off. There are often subtle little things about the alignments that can make a huge difference in the final results.

Web reference: http://www.scottgreenhalghdds.com/cosmetic-dentistry-questions.html

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Orthodontics BEFORE Implants

+1

All orthodontic movements should be performed prior to having any planned implants placed.  Even though you don't think the teeth around the area need to be straightened, they will move somewhat when any orthodontic appliance is placed.  Since dental implants don't move once integrated, the adjacent tooth roots may end up too close or the implant placement may not be in the proper position for a proper crown or restoration to be made.  Standard of Care is to have orthodontics prior to implant placement

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Braces should be done before the implant

+1

The implant, once placed, will never move.  If it is in the position where other teeth should be, then the case will fail.  If it ends up too CLOSE to the adjacent teeth, the case will fail.  The complications can go on, but as a general rule, it is best to wait until braces are finished.

There ARE cases where implants were done first, but that means that the case was more complicated than it needed to be.  So while the answer is yes, you CAN do as you ask, it is best not to.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist