Is There an Implant That is Adjustable? If There Please Describe the Procedure.,

I had an augmentation on my left breat in April 11, the dr. put wrong size (600) in. It was too big, sh/hv used 500cc? very uncomfordable. too lopsided from right breast, hard to sleep. she did not allow me to examine sample before procedure. It is 34DD, I wear 34D. I do not have photos sorry. Thanks

Adjustable implants not a substitute to surgical planning

+2

One of the most stressful issues of breast augmentation with implants is accurately predicting the final breast size. Adjustable breast implants have been tauted as the answer to the problem because they "allow the patient to change her mind" or "adjust to preference" after the implant surgery. However:

1. Adjustable breast implants can only be "adjusted" by around 10 to 20% of their planned volume
  2. Adjustable implants require the use of a "port", a device under the skin that has to be removed after the adjustment has been completed with an additional procedure.
  3. For most adjustable implants, the "adjustment" range is an increase of less than 1/2 cup.

For an healthy breast augmentation that respects your breast anatomy and reduces the risk of complications implant volume can be accurately predicted and range of options discussed before the operation, so that your outcome is predictable, your shape is as wanted, and beautiful.

Gone are the days of Doctors having "carte blanche" on size choice, and patient input is highly regarded, so patients should make their voice heard and discuss the available size options openly to maximize the success of the procedure.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Spectrum adjustable expander implant

+2

There are 2 aspects to this question, the first of which is how to choose the implant size. There are different schools of thought on this, but my approach is to have the patient as involved as possible in advance so she is comfortable with the decision. We have the patient try implants tucked into a bra, on 2 different occasions, to preview what the result will be. It is also very important to respect the base diameter of the breast so measurements are done. This determines which profile (low, moderate, or high) for the size that is desired, and also what the maximum size can be.

There is an adjustable implant, called Spectrum, made by Mentor. It is a saline implant that is placed with a "fill port" which allows saline to be injected into the implant every few weeks to expand until the skin is stretched enough to obtain a good shape. It does allow for patient input to decide on the final fill volume before the port is removed, but it is usually used where the tissues need to be expanded rather than for choosing a size.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Revision

+1

Some fluid can be removed, but the risk of a ripple is greater, provided these are saline.  If silicone, you need a new implant.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant too big

+1

I would not suggest the use of any “adjustable” breast implant. I do suggest communicating your concerns with your surgeon and downsizing your current implants if you mutually decide that this is in your best interest. Your concern about  “sampling” implant prior to surgery is understandable but I don't think  examining different implants prior to procedure would have necessarily changed the outcome.

It is important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.