Tummy Tuck Safe With Implanon Birth Control?

I Have the Implanon Birth Control in my Arm, is It Still Safe to Proceed with a Tummy Tuck? I do not smoke and have no medical problems.

Tummy Tuck and Implanon

+2

Greetings,

Implanon is actually a progestin-based contraceptive. Best estimates of DVT (deep venous thrombosis) risk in patients using contraceptives place it two-to-eight times higher than the risk in patients not using contraceptives. Most contraceptives have estrogens in them, however, which are thought to be much more likely to contribute to the risk of DVT than progestins.

Bottom line - It is almost certainly safe for you to have a tummy tuck. You will need to be mindful of walking shortly after surgery to minimize your chances of having a DVT.

Best of luck - Sam Jejurikar

Birth control measures have no bearing on Tummy Tuck but increase risk of Blood clots in legs and Pulmonary Embolism

+2

Technically, birth control pills or implants pose no problem for operation of Tummy Tuck.  However there is higher incidence of leg vein clots and pulmonary embolism in patients on estrogens of any kind.  Risk is not high enough to forgo surgery. However an educted patient is often the best patient.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

I believe you can leave your implanted birth control in place for surgery

+2

Some doctors prefer to have their female patients off any products containing estrogen at the time of a tummy tuck.  The concern is developing a blood clot in your thigh.  Estrogens can increase the risk.  On the other hand, the birth control device is pretty low-dose and you certainly don't want to stop (harder to remove an implant than simply stop taking medication) and get pregnant.  My own feeling is that if you do not have a history of blood clots, do not smoke, and have surgery under an IV unconscious anesthetic (no intubation, paralysis, prone positioning or gas), with sequential compression devices, and early ambulation, your risk of a blood clot is still very low.  So I would personally not view this as a contraindication for surgery.  But you need to know this is a risk, even without the implant.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck safety with Implanon Birth Control

+1

Hi there-

As covered by my colleagues, I believe the risk of a significant complication for you should be very low, provided that you are otherwise healthy and a good candidate for the procedure, and that your choices create circumstances conducive to a safe outcome and experience-

In other words, as long as you are healthy, your surgeon is experienced and certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, your anesthesia provider is experienced and certified, and the facility in which the procedure is to be performed is also accredited by JCAHO or AAAASF, the risks should be very very low, even with your birth control.

Of course, the risks would be marginally lower, but most surgeons would probably not ask you to have the implant removed in order to proceed.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS