What's Causing Uneven Swelling of Chin 3 Weeks Post-op?

I had a chin implant 3 weeks ago. The right side of my is slightly more swollen than my left. What could've caused this? Is this normal? Before surgery, doctor injected botox to prevent any muscle spasm from shifting implant. Still, could the implant have shifted from accidental over-stretching of chin muscles, such as smiling/yawning too much? Slight tingling sensations could be felt sporadically at right-tip of chin. Does this indicate anything abnormal?

Uneven Swelling Not Uncommon After Chin Implants

+1

Nothing unusual with swelling going away at different rates in spots after a chin implant.  Swelling can be uneven and take up to a few months to resolve.  The tingling sensation may be the mental nerve coming back from a slight stun injury when the implant was placed.

Chin asymmetry after implant

+1

There are several reasons that you are seeing a change like this.  You really need to have the surgeon look at it to determin what if anything needs to be done.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Asymmetry after Chin Implant

+1

Hi there-

Without an exam, it is very difficult to say what might be going on, but it you are concerned that there has been a change in your appearance I would recommend you visit your surgeon and bring this to his or her attention asap.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Chin implant - abnormal swelling

+1

Three weeks after surgery you probably still have some swelling.  It's unlikely the Botox injections caused any displacement of your implant.   It's impossible to tell you what's going on without seeing you in person - however, I recommend if you have any concerns to go back and speak to your surgeon.  I'm sure he/she would be happy to see you and answer any questions you might have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Chin Implant Swelling in Early Postop Period

+1

It is very common to have early postop swelling that might look like assymetry.  Talk to your surgeon about massaging.  Wait 4-6 months before doing anything.

Blane T. Shatkin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of chin after implant

+1

It is possible that the implant is shifted a bit and causing asymmetry. In the absence of injury to the chin as it was healing, it would usually be due to being inserted off center or shifting in a pocket a little too large for the implant.  This might have appeared asymmetrical from the beginning, or become apparent as the swelling went down. If it was symmetrical soon after surgery but is now becoming more swollen on one side, this might signal an early infection or a fluid collection. Increasing redness and/or tenderness would be other signs of infection. In any event, you should have your surgeon evaluate it as soon as possible, particularly if you suspect infection.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Asymmetric Swelling 3 weeks after Placement of Chin Implant

+1
Hard to answer your question without knowing the type of implant, the way it was put in and if the swelling is new in onset or is becoming obvious now. Any sudden change in status such as redness, swelling tingling should be brought to your surgeon's attention. It could indicate an early infection or fluid collection. Dr. Peter Aldea

Swelling After Chin Implant

+1

There are many reasons for swelling after a chin implant. Without knowing the type of implant, technique used, and a good physical examination, it is impossible to determine what has occurred. I would certainly suggest speaking with your surgeon about your concerns.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

With the very limited amount of medical info and no posted photo the options to answer your question range from - hematoma, infection, abscess, shifting of implant to dislodged implant. Call your surgeon ASAP. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski