Im250 Lbs I Would Like to Get Liposuction in my Stomach Back and Arms is It Safe Since Im Overweight?

hi im 20 years old 5"6 and i weigh 255lbs Ive gain 100 lbs in the last 2 years,I recently began dieting and excercising but im getting married next year and i want to get a liposuction in my stomach,back and arms, my blood pressure and cholestorol is good no diabetes. is it safe for me to get a liposuction since im so overweight??

Liposuction is not your best option.

+1

Your best option for weight loss before your wedding is to begin a reasonable, sustainable exercise regiment and a diet with healthy foods so you could lose about 1.5 lbs per week.  This approach is both safe and realistic.  Large volume liposuction in patients who are morbidly obese ( your BMI is 40 ) is associated with higher complication rates than when performed on patients of normal weight.  Some of these complications can be fatal.  In addition the aesthetic results of liposuction on obese patients is not very good.  So be safe, save your money and have your primary care doctor direct you to a nutritionalist for dietary recommendations and suggest a exercise program which you can stick with.  Good luck.

Liposuction is not the answer for weight loss

+1

Go get to work losing weight! Liposuction is not a weight loss method and high volume liposuction is associated with a high complication rate including death. Furthermore, you are in the morbidly obese category and your surgical risk generally is significantly increased.

Get on a diet and exercise regimen and stick with it. There are many to chose from. You can also discuss your issues with a nutritionist, your primary doctor or even consider places like Weight Watchers.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Liposuction and weight issue

+1

You could technically have the procedure performed, however your chances of having complications such as postoperative breathing problems, or blood clots form in your legs is somewhat higher---as it would be in anybody having any surgery at your given weight.  In addition, the cosmetic results will likely be less than you hope for as liposuction cannot remove internal fatty tissue--around your internal organs.

My best advise is that you work with your weight, and lower it to a more appropriate level before you invest your hard earned dollars on a procedure that may not be an aesthetic "homerun".

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Large volume liposuction

+1

Large volume liposuction has been performed to help with weight reduction but is now, generally frowned upon and is considered to be very risky.  There have even been a few deaths reported with such procedures.  There are better ways to loose the weight.  The safest and most healthy, is to change what you eat. A diet that is primarily vegetarian with complex carbs and low in  fats will guarantee you to loose weight.  One of the healthiest plans is called "Eat to live",  by Dr. Joel Furhman, which you can get at any book store.  

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight

+1

At 5'6'' tall and 255 pounds you have a BMI of 41. This puts you not in the "overweight" category, but "extremely obese" (go online for body mass index table)

Do not waste your money on liposuction. Rather use it for a personal trainer and an approved weight loss program such as Weight Watchers. Many patients are losing weight rapidly on the Ideal Protein diet combined with exercise. I understand your desire for a quick fix before your wedding, but liposuction is not it.

Best of luck.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Recently Overweight

+1

Hello Kure 1182,

Liposuction can be used to treat contour problems in overweight individual.  But, it is not your best option.  You are 20 years old and gained 50 pounds per year.  Putting the "why" aside, you have your youth and rapid weight gain on your side to lose the weight.  Without even going to the extremes of diet and exercise, you should be able to lose 50 to 75 pounds before the wedding. While not getting you to your ideal weight, that will make a huge difference in your appearance.  And for the cost of liposuction, you could hire a dietician and personal trainer for 5 years.  Plus you will look better, feel better, and be healtier with zero risk of complications. 

John Borkowski, MD
Hartford Plastic Surgeon

Lipo for weight loss?

+1

Liposuction is not for weight loss. I usually like my liposuction patients to be within 10-15 lbs of their goal weight before surgery. At your current height and weight I would consider a weight reduction surgery like lap band or gastric sleeve if diet and exercise alone are not working. After you lose the weight and have stabilized near your goal then plastic surgery can be a great option to tighten extra skin, etc. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Liposuction When Overweight

+1

Liposuction is definitely not for weight loss. At most, in an extreme operation only 10-12# would be removed. Get back down to your original 150# and then do the lipo if you still need it. You probably won't and you will save yourself enough money for a good honeymoon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction and overweight

+1

If you are overweight, I would suggest losing weight first before undergoing any type of body contouring procedure.

Liposuction and weight

+1

Thanks for your question.  Though I appreciate the timing of your desire for liposuction because of an important event like your wedding, I think you could get a better result and much better value for the procedure, by first loosing weight and getting into shape.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD