Best Treatment for Sun Damage and Fine Lines?

Im 42 & have sun damage & fine lines. Is fraxel the best treatment for me?

Fine line correction

+2

Thanks for your question -

I agree with the other surgeons comments. I would add that both peels and laser which can be an effective way to correct fine lines need to be used with great caution in people with darker pigemented skin. Significant permanent hypopigmentation can occur.

There is no universal answer for fine lines. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an in depth discussion about possible options.

Many options

+2

I'd recommend that you talk to an experienced, board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has multiple modalities in their office. That way, you won't be steered only to the technology they own, but rather be given options. Fraxel Restore has only 1 day of downtime, but 5-6 treatments are typically needed. Active/Deep FX and Ellipse Juvia, as well as Fraxel Repair will give you a bigger bang for your dollar, but the downtime is 5-10 days depending on the settings used. Most people only need one session of the more aggressive options. Chemical peel might also be a consideration. Best to seek the advise of a reputable, experienced physician before deciding.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Laser skin resurfacing in Los Angeles

+1

Our office recommends the fractional co2 laser to resurface skin and tighten damaged skin.  The treatment can be performed as a mild, moderate, or deep treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Fraxel is the Best Treatment for Sun Damage and Fine Lines

+1

Fraxel is the best treatment for sun damage and fine lines!  I simply love this laser! It is like a magic eraser.  It removes sun damage, hyperpigmentation, evens tone and texture and treats all of the skin anywhere on the body.  Please find an experienced Fraxel user for this elegant procedure!

Michele S. Green, MD

Treatment for sun damage and fine lines

+1

Your treatments should be individualized so you should consult a dermatologist who offers an array of treatment options and can examine your skin to make sure there is no skin cancer.  You should start with daily sun protection with SPF 50+, tretinoin cream and anti-oxidants.  Photodynamic therapy with Levulan and blue light, IPL and fractional laser treatments with Fraxel may all be appropriate for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

The First Step in Treating Sun Damage and Fine Lines

+1

Start with simple things first. The most effective way to reverse the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: tretinoin cream and 4% hydroquinone. Unlike the unsubstantiated claims made by over-the-counter skin care products, the results of using these creams are backed by real medical science. I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure. These medications promote changes clearly visible both on the surface and at a structural level beneath the treated areas of the skin. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sun Damage and Fine Lines

+1

It's hard to say definitively without seeing someone what the ideal treatment is for them but Fraxel is a good option for someone with sun damage, brown spots, and fine lines.  Our patients are very pleased with the results.  You can also possibly consider IPL/Limelight treatments, TCA peels (Blue Peel), Pearl or Pearl Fractional treatments.  There are number of at home products you can use to help preserve your results and/or prepare your skin for treatments as well (Retin-A or tretinoin creams, AHA products, BHA products)  Fine lines can also be helped with Botox/Dysport injections or fillers.  Many options! Best to get a face to face consult with someone.

Dr. Grant Stevens           

Grant Stevens, MD

Excellent treatment for sun damage and fine lines.

+1

I think TCA peels are an excellent non surgical alternative. This is often my first choice. Other approaches include lasers but the laser selection varies based upon skin type and ultimate outcome desired.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Best treatment for sun damage and fine lines

+1

The best starting point for mild sun damage and fine lines is a gentle skin care regimen, a prescription retinoid, like Renova, Refissa or Tazorac, and a good broad spectrum sunscreen.

Give this regimen several months to start seeing results.  Consistency is key.  Start slowly by applying the retinoid twice a week at night time, then increase the frequency from there.

I recommend discussing retinoids and skin care products with your dermatologist to decide on the best products and insure that there are no contraindications for such therapy for you.  For example, retinoids are not indicated for pregnant women. And I would be cautious in prescribing a retinoid to someone with a sun sensitivity.

If after using this regimen for several months, you still feel you want more improvement for your skin, there are a number of laser resurfacing options that you may consider, including a photofacial, Micro Laser Peel or South Beach Peel.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sun damage, fine line prevention and treatment

+1

Start by working with a board-certified dermatologist who can help you set the stage by reviewing preventive steps as well as basic skin care routine of strict sun protection, avoidance of smoking, Vitamin C antioxidant in the morning and/or prescription-strength retinoid at night. I have published that using topical tretinoin can result in demonstrable reduction of fine lines and sun damage as little time as 4 weeks. Therapeutic procedures such as chemical peel, laser resurfacing either with Fraxel or Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing may be more worthwhile to pursue after a customized skin care routine has been reviewed with you by a board-certified dermatologist.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon