Medical Opinions On Potential Of Illness from Saline Implants?

You probably of heared this before and might think I'm crazy,but I need to know the truth!I've been doing a lot of research about breast augmentation about saline because that's the type of implant that I wanted to go with, anyway I came across this website "myimplantstory.com" and that websites show many of woman that had removed their implants because of them being sick from it.I have also saw the book "the naked truth about breast implants" By dr. susane. I honestly thought saline was safe?!

Safety of Breast Implants

+1

Information is only as good as its source. If I was a consumer I would look for information from a relatively conservative FDA. On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational. 
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

I would suggest limiting your reading to reliable  sources to expand your knowledge while limiting your anxiety. I hope this helps.

Safety of saline implants

+1

Saline implants are filled with sterile salt water. There is no evidence that saline implants are harmful or cause illness at this time.

Donna Rich, MD

+1

If saline implants were so risky the FDA would remove from the market. Plus worldwide thids operation is in the top 2 or 3 each year. The numbers say it all. 

SALINE IMPLANTS

+1

There is no evidence that Saline breast implants are harmful.  Unfortunately, the internet is filled with nonfactual information.  I have been practicing for 26 years and have encountered only one patient who claimed to have become sick from her Saline breast implants.  At her request they were removed totally intact without any evidence of rupture or leakage.  Needless to say her symptoms did not improve after removal.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Medical Opinions On Potential Of Illness from Saline Implants? Answer:

+1

Sometimes the internet is not our friend! In 20 years I have never seen someone have systemic illness from their implants & I know I am not alone. Now there were reports of fungus being found inside a saline implant & they think it was because the filling fluid was first placed in a contaminated bowl prior to insertion. But we now take the fluid directly from a sterile IV bag & bypass the bowl! So you should be absolutely fine with saline implants. Trust massive experience, not single accounts!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

No Evidence That Implants Cause Any Illness

+1

There is no credible evidence that saline  (or silicone for that matter) cause any illnesses.  I am not sure why individuals continue to make these claims, but I am unaware of any evidence of the validity of these claims accepted by even 2-3% of the scientific community.  Even during the early 90's when the FDA removed silicone implants from the market, there was no move for removal of saline implants.

John Whitt, MD