Tummy Tuck Results, Do I Have to Do Situps?

I had a tummy tuck 6 months ago. What should results of one be? My Dr said I have to do alot of sit ups to regain a flat stomach? Is that true? I was under the impression that my stomach would be flat after a tummy tuck but my stomach is still a nagging problem for me and I still have skin.

Tummy Tuck Results Are As Unique as You & Me!

+2
The results of an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck procedure varies with the patients individual anatomy before surgery, the procedure selected, and the stability of your weight after surgery.  A patient's body mass index (BMI), a measure of height and weight related to your health, has a significant impact on the postoperative result.  Higher BMI patients have less visible sculpting postop as a result of more intra-abdominal fat, extra-abdominal fat and oftentimes skeletal changes in more severe cases.  Older patients who are peri-menopausal also have to contend with hormone induced intra-abdominal fat deposition, shortening of the vertebrae and loss of waist definition.  The degree of skin and muscle laxity and torso length also have an impact on the final outocme.  The traditional tummy tuch procedure does an excellent job of correcting the muscle and skin laxity, but is less effective in addressing extra-abdominal fat and ineffective in addressing intra-abdominal fat.  If you had any of these factors pre-operatively, they are likely the culprits in limiting the effectiveness of your procedure.  The best tummy tuck results are seen in patients with a normal BMI, with skin and muscle laxity.  The further you are away from this ideal, the more limitations exist regarding your outcome.  Sit-ups, aerobic exercise and a healthy diet are good habits for all of us and are sure to further enhance your body contour!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Flattening of the abdomen after abdominoplasty

+1

The goals of a typical abdominoplasty are to tighten abdominal fascia, remove disproportionate fat, and excise to tighten the skin envelope of the abdomen. Not all abdomens require these three features. Expectations for likely results should be discussed before surgery and actual results may vary depending on preoperative anatomical and healing variations of individual patients.  You should either ask your surgeon about your concerns or seek out the attention of another experienced board certified plastic surgeon. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Tummy Tuck Results, Do I Have to Do Situps

+1

Staying fit is helpful in many ways, and sit-ups can be part of fitness. It is most difficult to comment on your situation without the benefit of photos from both before and after your surgery. If you would consider adding photos you will be more likely to get useful opinions from participants at this site.

Thanks and best wishes.

After tummy tuck situps are OK, core exercise is better

+1

You actually don't have to do situps after tummy tuck, as strenghtening your core through areobic exercise will improve your health, reduce your weight, and tone your abdomen all with one program. As far as flattness after tummy tuck is concerned, sometimes the contour will be limited by internal fat, as your stomach will never be flatter than is can be when you lie on your back. It is not just strength to hold in, but what is in pushing out that makes your result a good, though not great one. 

Tummy Tuck Surgery Results

+1

Everyones circumstances are very different.  Everyone has a different shape and all tummy tucks are not the same because no two abdomens are the same.  Surgeons also do things differently and may do things differently from patient to patient.  Each tummy tuck has to be tailored for each person just like breast and facial surgery.  It is difficult to comment on your question without before and after photos and reading the operative report. There are many photos on this site which show examples of tummy tucks.  Usually the abdomen is flat with no sagging skin.  At 6 months your results should give you a good idea of what your outcome will be.  If you are not happy, discuss this with your surgeon.  I do not know what the two of you discussed preop and what expectations were discussed.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon