Will Permanent Stitches in my Uterus Be a Problem for a Tummy Tuck?

My second child was an emergency csection at 32 weeks,the on call doctor who performed it used these stiches (even left a few extra inches at the end which I had surgery to remove) I can still feel them if I press on my abdomen could this be problematic?

Tummy Tuck and Stitches in Uterus

+2

Hi Steph,

• A tummy tuck operation is performed above the abdominal muscles. The uterus is below the abdominal muscles and inside the abdominal cavity. So, permanent stitches in the uterus are not a problem.
  • If you are referring to the fact that permanent sutures were used to close the layers from the muscles up to the skin incision used for your C-section, this also will not cause a problem for your tummy tuck procedure. 

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Sutures in Uterus is not a problem with Tummy Tuck

+2

I agree with the surgeon below.  If your Plastic Surgeon can see your Uterus sutures while doing a Tummy Tuck, he is in the wrong place.  There should be no problem.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+2

This should not be a problem. If your surgeon can see your uterus while doing a tummy tuck, the surgeon is operating in the wrong plane. The operation is done entirely outside of the abdominal cavity. Your uterus us inside. All the best. 

Stitches

+1

Are you sure these sutures are in your utereus. I do not think you would be able to feel them if they were. These stiches which are probably in the abdominal wall can be removed or revised during the surgery

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

No. An abdominoplasty does not go through the muscle. To get to the uterus we would have to cut through the muscle.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Uterine sutures and tummy tuck

+1
Tummy tuck is performed on a much higher plane than gynecologic surgery and your plastic surgeon will be nowhere near the uterus during the procedure. If you can feel sutures by pressing on your abdomen, it is likely also nowhere near the uterus and may reflect a poor fascial closure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Uterine stitches and tummy tuck

+1

Sutures in your uterus should not be a factor in a tummy tuck.  The surgery for a tummy tuck does not come near the uterus but involves skin and muscle only.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

+1

This will not be a problem since the area of the tummy tuck is above the muscles and the uterus is below the abdominal muscles.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

C-section Sutures

+1

No, it should not be a concern.  Sutures on the uterus are deep, away from the tummy tuck plane, and more superficial sutures can always be removed at the time of the tummy tuck.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1

Many thanks for the question.TT does not reach intra abdominally where the uterus is and therefore the permanent stiches on uterus has nothing to do with your TT. Wish you all the luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon