Will an infracture to narrow the bridge of the nose improve the profile as well?

I had a great experience with a rhinoplasty consultation. I broke my nose a while back and its looks just a bit wider (plus breathing issues). My doctor and I decided on an infracture to narrow the bridge. Since breaking my nose the profile has gone from slightly concave to slightly convex. Will an infracture of the nasal bones slightly improve the profile or is this something I need to bring to attention of my surgeon? Thanks so much.

Fracturing the nasal bones to narrow the nose

+1

Fracturing the nasal bones to either straighten or narrow the nose can sometimes be done as an isolated procedure, but may sometimes lead to a higher bridge if the bone heals in a slightly higher position, or soft tissue swelling leads to thickening. It is often necessary to lower the bridge a little just to keep it at where it was.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

In-fracture of nasal bones

+1

Often the bones are rasped a bit( shaved) to open the roof, because an in-fracture alone will not move the bones. A medial osteotomy is often necessary if rasping is not performed.

In-fracture osteotomy of the nasal bones

+1

An in- fracture or osteotomies of the nasal bones will not affect the profile of the nose. The nasal bones will simply become narrower and straighter as a result of both medial and lateral osteotomies. Any bridge line adjustments will also need to be made either by shaving or rasping the dorsal profile prior to the osteotomies. For many examples of fractured nose repair, please see the link below

Infracure of Nasal Bones to Improve Profile

+1

Your profile will not improve without changing the projection of the nasal bones. Hopefully you do not have to point this out to your surgeon; it should be obvious to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nasal Bone Infracture and the Shape of the Bridge

+1

An infracture of the nasal bones, if done alone, will narrow the bridge but will not change the profile of the bridge. Any changes to the height or shape of the bridge must be done through a separate maneuver during a rhinoplasty.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will Narrowing the Nasal Bridge Improve the Profile?

+1

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bone infracture

+1

During rhinoplasty, nasal infracture is usually performed to close an open roof after the hump is removed and to narrow the middle part of the nose. It will improve the profile on side view if the hump is removed.

Good Luck

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

+1

Always discuss your specific goals for the look you are trying to achieve.