Which is Better on What Condition? Another Treatment After Scar Revison for Hair Loss: Scar Revion Or/and Hair Implant? (photo)

I did scar revision on Aug. 31st, 2012 for the hair loss cased by the brow and facelift on June 19th, 2012 in Mexico. Although the scar size narrows down to about half size, still hair loss is visible. Some dermatologists and the cosmetic surgeon who had the scar revision stated that more scar revison or/and hair implants will be needed after about 6 months. I wonder what might be deciding factors in choosing another scar revision or/and hair implants (Which is better on what condition?).

Which is Better on What Condition? Another Treatment After Scar Revison for Hair Loss: Scar Revion Or/and Hair Implant?

+2

Wait at least 6 months before considering re revision of the scalp scar or filler hair grafts. Allow full healing from the Aug, 2012 surgery. 

Scar revision or hair transplants.

+2

The shock of the surgery may have caused temporary hair loss.  If after 4-6 months there is growth wait. If you have a space still scar revision by an experienced scalp surgeon is best and cheaper.  Grafts require multile procedures and are more expensive. 

Scar Revision vs Hair Transplants

+2

Based on this single photo with the staples in place, it is too early to tell whether additional scar revision or hair transplants should be done. It would depend on how wide the scar remains after this procedure in six months and how much improvement came from this scar revision. But since this is the result of a 'tightening' procedure on the tight scalp, it is most likely that hair grafts will be needed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Scar revision after facelift, browlift

+2

You're unlikely to get a satisfactorily narrow scar with scar revision.  Follicular unit grafting will camouflage the scar nicely.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Scalp scar

+2

If you are unhappy ith the result of scar revision after at least 6 months, your most likely treatment would be follicular unit hair transplants. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision of wide scar

+2

Based on the photo, I think that carefully done hair transplants into and along the scar would be better.

Why? The scalp skin is naturally tight. Scars here tend to be a bit wide.

Concealment with hair transplants - after such a nice result from the scar revision - would probably conceal it quite nicely.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Medical Tourism surgery not a good idea

+1

Having inexpensive cosmetic surgery in a "resort" location sure sounds sexy, but what a bad idea. There are so many things that could go wrong that the patient has no control over. One of those is post op care and follow up, who is taking care of the scar and the hair loss? I'm sure the local doctors are not providing their services for free! Think twice before going abroad for "cheap" surgery. If you survive the experience you may end up spending even more than having the procedure performed locally by a board certified surgeon.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Scalp Reduction or Hair Transplants for Area of Hair Loss

+1

Once the scar heals, another scalp reduction or hair transplants would both be reasonable.  I do not think you could go wrong with either.