Is it possible to shorten my nose? Do you think I should get it done if possible? (photos)

I like the width of my nose but not the length. I was wondering if it was possible to shorten it whilst shortening the nostrils and to do this without turning my nose upwards in the process (like a piggy nose). Will consider having this done if it's possible. Do you think I would need/benefit from it?

It is possible to shorten your nose.

+1
I agree that your nose is mildly overprojected, and it is quite possible to correct this without rotating your tip too much. There are specific surgical maneuvers to accomplish this, which can be discussed in consultation. Computer imaging also helps greatly in planning your Rhinoplasty.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideally, you need recession of the nose as part of your rhinoplasty.

+1
Dear 09Vat;

You are a pretty young lady, and it appears that the largest share of discontent about your nose is that it protrudes too far forward from your face.There is a small bump. However, unless the nose can be brought closer to your face, I suspect you will be disappointed, and you are right that raising the tip will only make the nostrils more visible.

This issue of over-projecting, or the nose being too far forward,  is a function of how nature built the nose on your face. In your profile photo, it shows that about only 10% of your nose sits on your face, but 90% is forward “out in space.” That is the hallmark of a nose that does need to be brought closer in if possible. But some limitations are in place of what can be done.There are some techniques that involve sculpting part of the upper jaw to allow room for the nose to recess closer to the face. There are also surgical techniques that involve taking out part of the tip cartilages to literally “shorten” the distance from your lip to the tip of your nose.This requires a very thorough examination and discussion of these options with you. You need to do your homework about what can, and cannot, be accomplished. You should also feel very confident in the surgeon you choose.

Yours is not a simple case, I assure you. So, consult with only those surgeons who have a long and highly-specialized career in the area of cosmetic nasal surgery. Be sure to have computer imaging so that you are comfortable with the anticipated result.I feel a consultation without computer imaging has much less value.

Other issues that have to be taken into account are some bulbosity of the tip and what to do with the bump and if in fact, the bridge needs to be raised. Believe it or not, raising the bridge is a technique that helps disguise the over-projection of the lower portion of your nose.

Take your time. Have several consultations before you commit to the procedure, and you will have a greater chance of being satisfied.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Nose surgery

+1
09Vat, Impossible to tell from your photos; sorry. See several facial plastic specialists and go over their photos. Should you like their results and they have about 10 years of experience you have a very good chance of being happy with your results. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to shorten my nose? Do you think I should get it done if possible?

+1
The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a subtle natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience. Only you can determine if it bothers you enough to do anything about it.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, california

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for the overly projecting nose

+1
Yes, the overly projecting nose can be de-projected with the rhinoplasty procedure. The nostrils can also shortened and tend to flair slightly when de-projecting the tip. It is possible to not turn the nose upwards in the whole process. For many examples of de-projecting  the overly-projecting nose through closed rhinoplasty techniques, please see the link below

+1
      The tip can be brought closer to your face with a closed rhinoplasty and no visible scars.  Find a rhinoplasty expert who achieves natural results.

Shortening Nose without Changing Tip Rotation

+1
Dear 09Vat~

Thank you for your question. Your tip could be brought closer to your face without changing the rotation of your nose. Your bridge would likely have to be lowered slightly to match the new tip position. This would result in an overall “shorter” nose without changing the tip rotation.

When you have your consultation, your surgeon should be able to show you how your nose would look using computer imaging. You may find that you like the way your tip looks if it is rotated slightly (but not in a piggish way!)

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD