Is It Possible to Achieve a Natural Looking Tear Drop Shape when Using High Profile Implants?

I recently had my pre-op appt. and was told by my PS that I could not get 425 cc moderate plus silicone like I was hoping for because they would be too wide for my frame. I could only go as big as 400 cc, or go with a 425 cc high profile instead. I had already had it in my head that HP means big, round, implants that sit high up on the chest. I want a nice sloping, tear drop shape from the side, and thought that was only possible with MP. I'm so conflicted now...please help! (-:

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+3

Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, he/she is in a much better position to advise  you regarding the best breast implant size/profile that will help achieve your goals.  in my practice, I use goal pictures to help with the communication process.

Generally speaking, I would share your concerns about the high profile breast implants appearing “natural” compared to less projecting breast implants. I would suggest that you call your plastic surgeon's office and request additional time to spend discussing  goals and options.

Achieving a natural looking tear drop shape with high profile implants

+3

If you are looking for nice sloping tear drop shape then the lower profile implant shape is what you should be getting. However, you may not be able to get the volume that you wanted. It's a very common conflict, choosing between size and shape. Most of the time, it's a compromise. Another option to consider is the anatomically shaped silicone gel implant. Go back to your surgeon and see if you are a candidate for this type of implant. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

High profile implants

+2

High profile implants are good in some patients especially for narrower patients.  Best to see in person.

Implant Profiles

+2

You are at a crossroad in the decision making process.  You 'had it in your head' about what size (and profile) you wanted, but without the benefit of the expertise of a plastic surgeon's examination.  If you are looking for a very gentle slope to the upper pole, then you and your surgeon should talk about the flattest profile possible in an implant whose diameter best fits your chest wall, and ignore the volume.

Most surgeons have been bullied into accommodating women's size request while still trying to adhere to some part of dimensional planning, so they often recommend a high profile implant in an attempt to satisfy both. However, this can lead to significant problems, some that will necessitate a reoperation.

Don't push this surgeon into a corner, or go to another that cares not, and will give you exactly what you ask for so you don't walk out his door too.  Please understand that breast augmentation has limitations.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Effect of high profile implants on breast augmentation

+2

In general a higher profile implant will tend to thrust the upper portion of the breast forward.  This is particularity true it the implant is not under the pec muscle.  There may be a tradeoff between size and shape.  The newer "gummy bear" implants have an anatomical shape and might be worth consideration.  They are not yet available in all shapes and sizes.  As always, a careful discussion with a highly experienced surgeon gives the best chance of a happy outcome.

John Q. Cook, MD

Do high profile implants look natural?

+2

Thank you for your question. While high profile implants are used in some cases, I believe that they tend to create a more rounded and less natural look. The increased projection with the high profile implants makes the breast look more implanted with a bit of a superior shelf. Some women like that look, but it doesn't sound like it would meet your desires based on your description.

The question that I would have for you is about your desire to use a 425cc implant. To achieve the natural look that you describe, it would be best to match the implant width to your chest width. The projection could then be chosen to meet your expectations, with the volume being almost disregarded. I am sure that your plastic surgeon can help you with this.

This approach will give you a natural result that meets your expectations.

Best of luck with your augmentation.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Shape

+2

The volume of the breast implant is not as important as you believe it to be. The shape is important.You are better off going with the correct sizing or correct width

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Using appropriate implant sizes for the best result

+2

There is really not much difference between a 400 and a 425 cc implant.  You are looking at less than 2 tablespoonful.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.   He is attempting to keep your implants within a certain range that is appropriate for your size and shape.  The only other alternative would be to use a formed shaped implant.  These are implants that can vary the height and width.  In the US these types of implants are only marketed by Sientra.      

Possible to Achieve a Natural Looking Result With High Profile Implants?

+2

The short answer is yes, one can achieve natural looking results with a high profile implant, but that is not the only consideration, as a variety of factors can impact how natural of look one has following augmentation. For example, if one chooses an implant that is too wide for their frame, the implant can extend too far out past the chest wall, and that looks unnatural as well.

Big, round, implants that sit high on the chest wall are more often the result of improper implant positioning, overly large implants, implants place on top of the muscle, or even capsular contracture. So it is not simply a matter of that look being caused by an HP implant.

Also, it is important to distinguish between  HP Saline implants and HP Gel implants. Each manufacturer is different. In most cases, the HP saline implants are way too high profile and in my experience rarely look good on anybody. I think this is why HP implants have gotten a bad name. In fact, HP gel implants have approximately the same profile as moderate profile saline implants, hence they are not overly "high profile", In your case, changing from a moderate plus to a high profile implant may only mean a few millimeters in difference in dimension. and if the implant is being place under the muscle there may be little difference in overall appearance. 

I suggest you return to your surgeon for some further discussion and clarification of your goals to come with an acceptable plan.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

High profile implant will not produce tear drop shape

+2
I think you have a conflict between roundness and sloping, tear drop shape. I don't think that high profile will fulfill your needs but you do have to balance the shape against a desire for cleavage. If you haven't resolved this, definitely it is worth returning to your plastic surgeon for a second consultation before making a decision. Implant selection should be a collaborative process and it is extremely important that you and your doctor have a meeting of the minds as to your goals.

Robert L. Kraft, MD