Really, What is Ideal?

Hi there, I am 54 years old. I am 5ft 8.5 inches. I weigh 172 lbs. Should I lose weight before a TT? thanks!

Weight loss before tummy tuck.

+1

Most of us would like our patients to be at their ideal weight before surgery.  Usually if a patient is within 30 lbs of their goal weight, most would proceed.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  They will guide you through the process.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty

Weight Loss prior to Tummy Tuck

+1

More important is the stability of your weight prior to surgery. You are within 20 lbs of your ideal weight for your height. If you have been losing weight to this point, its a positive goal to try and achieve this ideal weight and hold it prior to surgery. This will allow for a more predictable outcome and likely less complication risk. However, if you have maintained your current weight for a long time and do not foresee reaching this ideal weight in a reasonable amount of time, you can still have your tummy tuck.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weight and tummy tuck

+1

I do not feel it is mandatory to be at your ideal weight prior to surgery as this is different for everyone. If you know that you have a target weight that you can reach then go for it. However if you ar stuck at this weight, it might be time to go ahead with the procedure as you are not far off.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Ideal body weight

+1

The closer you are to your " ideal body weight" the better the result with a tummy tuck.  You are not that far off and this my be your "ideal" weight.  It is for those who are significantly over their ideal weight that I recommend further loss.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Losing weight

+1

i usually ask people to be within 10 percent of their realistic ideal weight  for the best results.  i have no science for the 10 percent rule. now, of those people probably 10 percent actually lose weight before surgery.   the slimmer you are the happier you wil be with the results.  i do not believe you are heavy enough to increase the risk of the surgery.  go ahead.

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

I generally recommend that a patient's weight be stable before having surgery.  If your weight is fairly stable now, however, this may be a good time to have your tummy tuck.

I often see patients lose additional weight after tummy tuck.  That may be because 1) it is hard to stay motivated when your stomach doesn't look any better when you lose another ten pounds, but after they see how good the tummy can look, motivation is a lot easier, and 2) with the muscle tightening, you will feel full after eating less.

So, if your weight is stable, go ahead and have your tummy tuck now.  You will be glad you did!

Web reference: http://www.plastic.org/abd.html

Don't need to loose weight before tummy tuck.

+1

You are close to your ideal body weight so it is not unreasonable to proceed with abdominoplasty if you have lose skin of the abdomen and rectus diastasis (lose muscles).  I suspect you will be very happy with your results after surgery even if you are not made to lose weight before surgery.  Being close to your ideal body weight just helps guarantee that you will be optimally happy with the final surgical results.  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Overweight people usually very happy after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

1)  As far as I am concerned, you can have a tummy tuck any time.  Being overweight and having a big or loose stomach are two separate issues.  Of course you will still be overweight after wards, but you will love your flat stomach.

2)  You are not so overweight that the risk is increased if all appropriate steps are taken.

3)  A flat stomach can be an incentive to lose weight.

Ideal weight for tummy tuck

+1

If you are able, it is best for you to be close to your ideal weight before having a tummy tuck.  Some patients who are overweight are still good candidates for a tummy tuck if they have abdominal skin laxity.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to assess your condition during a consultation.