Achieving Ideal Weight with Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'10" right now and I weight 215 lbs. I am looking to have a Liposuction or Tummy tuck surgery will doing this help me get to the ideal weight off 180-190 lbs?

I know it is better to exercise but I am asking If I can do it at this weight and how many pounds can I get rid off. Thanks.

Weight loss with plastic surgery

+2

Weight loss with plastic surgery results in disappointment. Liposuction and tummy tuck procedure are not weight reduction surgeries and would not help achieve and weight reduction that you are looking for. They will make your body more shapely and look better in clothes but not help you drop 35 lbs.

Hope that answers your question.

Not a weight loss method

+1
If you want to get liposuction or  a tummy tuck to lose weight, then you'll be disappointed - it will not make a significant difference. You may lose just a couple of pounds, but you can definitely do that on your own without the risks related to surgery. In addition, removing unwanted fat with liposuction can leave loose skin, hiding the results of your surgery.

In general, however, it is best to achieve a normal and steady BMI before undergoing liposuction because it's safer for you and you'll achieve better results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck Not Meant to Be Weight Loss surgery.

+1

If you want to lose weight through a procedure, I have some disappointing news for you.The procedures for Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck are not primarily performed for weight loss and will not help you reach your desired weight. Even if you do get the procedures, you will probably just regain the weight without proper exercise and a healthy diet. These procedures  remove some of the excess skin and fat and therefore some pounds  but will not help you lose 35 pounds you wish on a long term basis.. Save your money until you reach what is the best long term weight loss possible - this means a life changing strategy.  I would recommend working out and diet  first and then receiving these surgeries. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Losing weight with liposuction and a tummy tuck

+1

If you use liposuction and a tummy tuck as a form of weight loss, be careful. After surgery and recovery, you may put the weight right back on. After you're down to your ideal weight, a tummy tuck is great for the excess skin on your abdomen as well as tightening you abdominal wall. Liposuction is great for those hard to lose areas. Good luck and be safe!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

It won't get that much weight off

+1

It is common to think that tummy tuck and liposuction remove a lot of weight when performed. However, fat has less weight than one would think. Because not a lot of fat can be liposuctioned from the abdomen at the same time as the abdominoplasty I suspect you will only lose, may at best 8-10lbs.

So I know you don't want to hear it but diet and exercise is the best by to lose weight.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

You'll get the best surgical results at your goal weight

+1

DAL3124:

In order to achieve the best surgical results from the liposuction of tummy tuck, you would want to be at or near you goal weight first.

The removal loose skin and / or fat with liposuction or tummy tuck will allow you to look like you lost significant weight, however you'll be surprised how little pounds you actually loose.

Liposuction is best at reducing localized excess fat. Tummy tuck is best at removing loose skin and fat, and improving muscle tone of the abdomen. They give the best results at the completion of a weight loss plan. That does not mean that a patient needs to loose weight before they have those procedures, but if a patient plans weight loss, they are best to do the weight loss first.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring vs. Surgical Weight Loss

+1

Dear DAL,

First, both liposuction and tummy tuck procedures are body contouring procedures, not weight loss procedures. Even in cases were there is a lot of skin to remove (such as a massive weight loss patient), the weight of the skin removed is surprisingly little (2-3kg or 5-7 lbs is really an impressive resection.) For liposuction, we consider "large volume" anything over 5 liters, which tends to be quite aggressive and a reasonable metabolic challenge for your body. I personally would not perform a combined tummy tuck and large volume liposuction due to the risks involved. Lets assume you did remove 5 L of lipo aspirate, which is 60% pure fat - so 3L. Fat is lighter than water, so you would have less than 3KG, or 7lbs.

You currently have a BMI of 31. If you are at your peak lifetime weight, you are not a good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you happen to have been very overweight (300+lbs) and now are 215 with very loose skin, a tummy tuck would be appropriate. (If you are currently at your peak, everything is very tight, and it is hard to "tighten" it more.)

Surgical weight loss (gastric band, bypass, etc) is generally suited for higher BMIs. At this stage, the best solution would be diet and exercise till you get within 10% of your goal weight, and then consider body contouring.

mab

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Not accurate that liposuction or tummy tuck will cause you to lose weight

+1

Dear Dal

Only two things determine what you weight and neither of them are liposuction and tummy tuck. What you weight is determined by what you eat and by your metabolism. The metabolism is the rate at which you burn calories. This rate changes with increases or decreases in physical activity and not much else unless there is a hormonal abnormality.

Tummy tuck and liposuction are shaping procedures. There is a certain amount of fat that is removed with these procedures but you are fully capable and will regain every ounce of weight removed by surgery unless you change what you eat or how much you exercise.

Your concept is the right one. Lose weight. As we gain weight, the increased body fat makes for insulin resistance and ultimately diabetes. This also adversely affects the lipids and increase the risk for heart disease. Rather than spend money on liposuction and a tummy tuck, you would be doing yourself a huge favor by seeing your physician and determining if your are healthy for exercise beyond what you currently do. Walking on slight incline at 3 mph for an hour will burn 400 calories. Do that four times a week and that is a pound of fat in two weeks. If you modestly change your diet by not using salad dressing and eat one less nutrition bar each day, that is another 400 calories per day. In 9 days that is another pound. By sticking with such a program, you can lose 12 pound just in the time it would take you to recover from a tummy tuck.

Do something great for yourself. Increase your exercise, modestly reduce your diet and your achieve what your are looking for without surgery.

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck are not weight loss techniques

+1

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck are body contouring techniques, not weight loss techniques.

Your present weight is the product of :

1. Calories ingested (food)

minus

2. Your metabolic rate - how fast or slow your body burns calories

minus

3. Your average daily energy expenditures.

If you shave off a few pounds off in surgery, after a few weeks you will reaccumulate fat in other parts of your body. Your body will look different, but you will weigh more or less the same.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Tummy tucks and liposuction are great procedures to improve the contour of the  areas treated. However, they are not the best treatment for trying to lose weight. Diet and exercise first and then tummy tuck for loose skin and complimentary liposuction of recalcitrant areas.