What's an Ideal Size for a Petite and Short Person?

I'm 24 and currently wearing 34DDD at 4'9 and 123 lbs. I'm pretty petite. Ideally I'm 32" at the waist but my left breast is slightly larger than the right, which is common, so I went up a size to 34". In consideration to my height, weight and body size, I would like to be at a big B small C. When I spoke with my plastic surgeon about what size HE would like to achieve was a C. How do surgeons measure down to a size and is it possible for me to jump down that many sizes?

Choosing your Breast Size with Breast Reduction Surgery

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed. 
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup”  means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Many patients instruct us to perform enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso, understanding that no plastic surgeon can promise/guarantee a specific final cup size. 

Predicting Breast Reduction Size

+1

The size that any breast will be after breast reduction is controlled by many factors, but it is not an exact science. The surgeon can control to some degree how much breast tissue is removed and how much the breast is lifted, but picking an exact size that you want to be can not be guaranteed or even predicted that well. For the vast majority of breast reduction patients, they are very pleased with whatever size they end up as it is always smaller, lifted and better shaped. Always remember that larger breasted women have distorted images of what smaller cup sizes are because their only reference is what they are used to. The point being is that your vision of a big B/small C is probably really bigger than what that really is. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Prediction of bra size after breast reduction is not possible

+1

Hi there-

There is unfortunately no accurate or responsible way that anyone could predict what size your breasts will be after your breast reduction, especially as bra size has a lot to do with patient preference.

Your best bet is to carefully communicate to your surgeon your goals for appearance and size (photos are very helpful) and listen carefully to their explanation of the limitations in your particular situation. 

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast sizing after breast reduction

+1

This is a very common questions as asked regularly by patients prior to undergoing breast reduction.  While there is a range of possible outcomes, the aesthetic relationship as well as rearrangement of the tissues and the breast must be considered prior to the final size.  Based on your description, a C or D cup may be appropriate.  Its best for you to review your surgeons postoperative outcomes regarding the size that you would like to achieve postoperatively.  Best of luck.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

The idea cup after breast reduction

+1

With breast reduction it is often not possible to 'choose' a size, as the result will depend on the base width and geometry of the breast. The C-cup may be ideal, though your surgeon will want to leave the breast with an excellent shape and projection, and protect nipple sensation as well. It is not what you take away, but what you leave.