Am I An Ideal Candidate for Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

I am a 27 year old female. I am 5'7" and weigh 190. I use to weigh 250. I seem to have been at a plateau for the past 4 years and Im okay with that. But I have the ugly hanging pouch, and am only 30 lbs from my goal weight (I have very large breasts and thick thighs and butt so I know I will never be tiny.) Anyways, I just want my pouch gone and a flatter tummy. Am I a candidate for either procedure?

Lipo or abdominoplasty candidate?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos!  I hope that these answers help!  Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure.  Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly.  

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results.  Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.  Also, I would recommend performing this procedure after you have completed child bearing, as your appearance may return with each pregnancy.  

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and then likely return once you have achieved your ideal weight  in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.  Best wishes!

Ideal Candidate for Tummy Tuck and possible Liposuction = Stable Weight

+1

Ideal Candidate for Tummy Tuck and possible Liposuction

Congratulations on your weight loss. Since your weight has been stabilized for 4 years, now

would be the best time to do a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.

From your description it would appear that you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck as

your weight is stable. Liposuction if needed is generally done at the same time and at your

preoperative consultation this will be determined. Good luck !!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1

I think the liposuction will remove the fat but the skin will hang even more. If you have a tummy tuck they might not be able to remove the fat but the skin will be tighter. I think it best to lose the weight  first and then see what would be best.

Julio Garcia, MD

Yes, it sounds like you are a candidate for tummy tuck

+1

As long as you do not have any medical condititons that would prevent you from having surgery, yes, it sounds like you are a candidate for tummy tuck. A photograph would help. See a board-certifed plastic surgeon for an evaluation and examination to be certain. You can also get more than one opinion.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction are Tommy tech? What is my answer? Help!

+1

congratulations on your significant 60 pound weight loss! frequently we find a significant amount of skin laxity and a separation between the abdominal muscles with patients who have had a significant weight loss. If this is the case abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is probably ideal procedure. If your skin tone is reasonable and your muscle is in good shape in liposuction could very well be the answer. Seeking consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon would be the next logical step. Take care. Dr. Hunstad

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction Candidate?

+1

You should be very proud of your accomplishment With a significant weight loss. You are probably very close to your long-term stable weight at which point you will be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. This procedure will serve to remove the “excess” skin and adipose tissue and re -approximate the abdominal wall muscles that have spread with weight gain/loss.

In person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Extra skin after weight loss

+1

The best way to get rid of extra skin is with a tummy tuck.  In San Antonio I see a lot of women like you who have lost weight, but cannot get rid of the extra skin.  They do very well with tummy tuck.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Are You a Candidate for Lipo or a Tummy Tuck?

+1

It sounds like a Tummy Tuck is going to be the procedure for you. I'm sure you are thrilled about your weight loss, but not about the hanging skin. Only a tummy tuck can correct loose and hanging abdominal skin. I often use a little bit of liposuction in conjunction with a tummy tuck to make sure the patient  has a nice smooth contour leading to their new flat tummy.

Michael Salzhauer, MD

You are a tummy tuck candidate - but not an "ideal" one

+1

Most likely from your story, a tummy tuck is what you need to remove the hanging roll of skin.  But first you need to lose the rest of the weight.  Only then might you become "ideal" and of course all of this needs to be determined not on line but with in person visits with plastic surgeons.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction

+1

First, congratulations on your weight loss.  You have already addressed the hardest part.  I would suggest you try to continue to lose more weight to get nearer your target goal.  You may want to modfy your exercise and diet routines.  Our bodies, being the amazing energy conserving devices they are, are very good at adjusting our metabolism when we are losing weight so varying your routines often can help you get off of the plateau you mentioned.  Sometimes a personal trainer can help in this effort.

Second,  have you completed having children?  If you are considering having children or having more children, you may want to wait until you have finished childbearing before proceeding.

Lastly, from your description, liposuction would probably not be the way to address your concerns since it can do very little with the loose, lax skin you mentioned you are unhappy with.  A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) would be the preferred treatment.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss you concerns and the possible timing of any procedures you are considering.  Again, congrats on your weight loss and good luck in the future.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon