Breast Lift and Breast Implants Ideal Size

I'm going to have a breast lift as well as implants. My surgeon suggests 200cc implants while my current size is 32DD/E, but i lack volume. In your experience, do you think this size is big enough? I am due to have my operation on March 24, 2009 and I will see my surgeon prior to surgery on Monday, March 16, 2009.

No way to tell without examining you

+2

None of us can help you with this question without examining you. A 200 cc implant is small but might be enough for you depending on your base diameter and overall frame and size. I used to use ones in this range but for the last 5 years the sizes have gone up more into the 300+ size range. You can't go too big at the same time though because a lift tightens you and an implant stretches you so the implant can't be too large and still be safe.

Breast implants choice

+1

If you are a DD/E a 200 cc implant sound awfully small for you. With out examining you it would be difficult to say what would be beneficial, but I would think it would be much larger than that.

Where angels fear to tread

+1

It is not the best to second guess your surgeon who has the benefit of exam, however, I will venture there.

I base sizing of implants on diameter of the implant and the width of the hemi-thorax.

Based on all of the above disclaimers, I would guess that something like a 300 cc moderate profile Inamed saline implant would work a bit better. It is certainly worth looking at anyway.

In the end, it will depend on what you are trying to accomplish, and what your tastes are.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Many factors for choosing implant size

+1

There are so many factors that go into the implant size decision making process. This makes it nearly impossible to give you a direct answer. Here are some generalizations.

1) Clearly, you don't lack volume. You have more than enough volume, it's just located in the wrong part of your breast. Instead of being up high (and perky), it is way down low. We have not perfected a reliable method of providing long term upper breast fullness with your own tissues. Instead, we use implants to achieve that while eliminating the redundant lower breast tissues.

A 200 cc implant will roughly give you one cup enlargement. How much will the surgeon reduce your current breast? By 200? By 300? By 400? Or no reduction? That will have a direct implant on the effects of a 200cc implant in your reduced/lifted breast, which brings us to the next point.

2) Some surgeons prefer not to perform the procedure at one setting and instead recommend a staged approach (2 separate operations: lift, then implant).

I hope this helps to explain your confusion and why there is not a simple answer to your question.

Everyone is different

+1

Without pictures and/or examining you, it is difficult to say what is the best approach to your surgery. However, if you feel comfortable with your surgeon, then you should not second guess them or try to force them away from their usual way of doing the surgery. A reduction/augmentation or mastopexy/augmentation is a complex procedure which requires balancing many factors including your breast tissue, current volume, implant size, gravity, skin quality, etc. There is more too it than just the implant size. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Can't say without an exam

+1

Hi there-

Choosing an appropriate implant for a patient is actually a delicate and deliberate process which in my opinion cannot be responsibly done without a careful examination.

If you have had a pleasant and informative consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, including a careful examination, I would trust the original recommendation.

If you are still concerned, I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon until you are comfortable that the plan for surgery is likely to achieve your goals. I'm sure your surgeon wants you to be completely happy and would want to know of your worry.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

If you really are a DD/E, you may not need implants at all.

+1

Hi! Very large breasts don't age well and I always advise against that. What I think you want is volume and fullness in the upper parts of your breasts.

This can be done without implants by doing an INTERNAL lift where the breast tissue is moved up on the chest and sutured together with buried stitches. This technique has been described by several plastic surgeons including Dr. Lejour and Dr. Hall-Findlay. This should leave you with a "lollypop" scar.

If the lift is done just by tightening the skin, then you don't get a good long term result with upper fullness.

Another option is to use a small implant and remove some lower breast tissue at the same time (the plus/minus mastopexy). Perhaps this is what your surgeon has in mind. For this approach, 200 cc's would be in the right range, depending on your frame.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

One size does not fit all in breast augmentation

+1

Final breast volume is determined by the implant volume and the residual breast volume. The same implant in 3 different patients can result in 3 very different results. There is no way to determine if the size suggested for you is appropriate without first examining you. If your unsure, however, I would suggest discussing it further with your plastic surgeon.

The choice of implant is a very important one and you need to be comfortable with that decision before proceeding with you surgery. In my own experience, rarely do I see a woman who returns after breast augmentation, feeling that the implants are too big. Most of the time, they either feel the size is just right or they wish they would have gone a little bigger. My usual advice is that if unsure between 2 different implant sizes, choose the larger of the two.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Don't second guess your surgeon

+1

No one here on this site can or should comment on your question without examining you. Implant sizes do not translate easily from patient to patient and there is much more that goes into choosing an implant in your situation than pure volume. If you have reservations about your conversation with your surgeon, go back and talk to him or her again until you are both on the same page. You can also seek a second opinion. But in my opinion, entering the operating room with doubts about your surgeon or your choice is not a good way to start your journey together.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast lift

+1

Volume is very tricky when a lift is being done at the same time. In my experience, breast size can be the result of volume or lots of excess skin. So, in your case, the large cup size may be the result of a significant sag to your breasts, therefore you may need volume to make up the difference if desired.

You can also look to reduce the size through a lift/reduction. Most importantly, A lift will make your breast appear larger, even if the cup size is smaller! This is because the breasts are now perky and have a better shape, even if the overall volume is reduced.

Most importantly, breast lift surgery is better than ever, but newer techniques are not available to everyone. Your scars should be either a lollipop or circle around the areaola - not an anchor scar. Your doctors results should be viewed in years, not weeks after surgery.

Good Luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD