Is There an Ideal Age for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

I am 22 years old, and I hate how my post-pregnancy tummy looks. I lost the weight after the pregnancy, but I still have a bulge and stretch marks under my belly button. I want to get a mini-Tummy Tuck, but some people tell me I'm too young for it, and I should wait until I finish having kids. However, I'm not planning to have children again until maybe 8 years from now. Setting future pregnancies aside, am I really too young for a mini-Tummy Tuck or a full Tummy Tuck? Is there an ideal age for the procedure?

Age is not the issue

+2

The real issue here is what your plans for future pregnancies are and your specific anatomy. It is certainly reasonable to have a tummy tuck in your early 20s, but remember that any tummy tuck result will be altered by a future pregnancy. I would highly recommend sitting down with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options, be it a full tummy tuck or mini, the timing of the surgery, and what to expect in terms of possible future procedures.

Depends on your goals

+2

Clearly you are not too young.

I have performed tummy tucks on young women for a variety of reasons: including cessation of child birth, massive weight loss, and congenital rectus muscle diastasis.

You must understand, as the other physicians have stated that some of the anatomical corrections performed during the mini tummy tuck could be undone: the muscle repair could be separated or the stretch marks could return.

However, if you are that unhappy and there are no medical contraindications, I would see no reason why not to proceed as long as you are aware of the risks. Unfortunately, there are few reliable alternatives which can provide you with a satisfactory correction of these problems without surgery. So a mini tummy tuck remains your single best option for treatment of your concerns.

Anatomy not Age

+2

Your anatomy and aesthetic goals are more important than age. Like others have said, just be aware that if you do decide to have more children, you may undo some of the work done during your abdominoplasty - mini or full.

Edward S. Lee, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

It isn't really an age issue

+2

If you are a healthy surgical candidate and don't foresee more children for 8 years, it would be reasonable to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about a tummy tuck. Don't necessarily assume you need a "mini" just because you are young. It is your anatomical configuration and not your age that decides which type of tummy tuck will give you the best results. Remember a mini tuck only addresses the lower abdomen.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck- too young?

+2

If it will be 8 years before your next child, it would be reasonable to consider a mini-tuck, if there areas of damage to your lower abdominal fascia and skin. Patients should consider that some aspects of the surgery might be "undone" by further pregnancies, which might require parts of the surgery to be redone.

You should balance that possible revisional surgery against looking good for the next 8 years.

A board certified plastic surgeon can guide you through the choices available to you, from a mini-tuck to various hybrid options, to a full tummy tuck. Each has specific goals, advantages and disadvantages.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy Tuck Surgery requirements

+1

Age is not an issue when contemplating a tummy tuck procedure. However, find a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you. During the consultation, they should let you know whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. They can also decide, if you wold benefit from a mini, full, or extended tummy tuck. This would depend on what you would like to achieve.

If you are planning on more pregnancies, it would be best that you wait until after you are finished to prevent any alterations in your anatomy. Not many women are good candidates for mini tummy tuck procedures. A mini tummy tuck only involves repair from the belly button down. A full (standard) tummy tuck involves muscle repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the excess tissue.

Ideal age for tummy tuck

+1

There is no ideal age. Traditionally we assumed that the patient have finished having any more prgnancies, and now is the time.

You have settled the question by stating that you may wait 8 years before the next baby.

I believe you are a candidate ifr the abdomen is bothering you. See a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON and decide if it is a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck.

Your "ideal age" may be now

+1

The "ideal age" for a tummy tuck is after you are finished having children. That said, it sounds as if you are planning to wait quite a while to have another child. You may decide that you would like to enjoy the benefits of a mini-tummy tuck while you are still in your 20's. This would not be unreasonable and if eventual pregnancies effect your tummy in the same way the first did, a secondary tummy tuck is certainly possible.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Wait until you're done with childbirth before getting Tummy Tuck

+1

I advise waiting until you are completed with childbirth. The results of Tummy Tuck surgery can be kind of "undone" by future pregnancy. This cannot always be fixed as well as it had been. Your age isn't the issue. It is your potential desire to continue with childbearing.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Most important is future plans for children

+1

You are not too young to have an abdomninoplasty. Some surgeons may perform one on you at this point, and it may be reasonable.

Be advised that this is a major operation and you will likely loose at least some of the sculpted result with another pregnancy.

A second abdominoplasty is possible (I have done them), but is technically more difficult due to the scarring, and the result may not be as satisfying.

I would urge you to seriously consider putting off the elective tummy tuck until after you are done with child bearing.

Scott E. Kasden, MD