Does anyone have any idea why my nose is like this? (photo)

Hi - i don't know if my nostrils have always been like this because it's only the past few years i've been very aware of it, but i was wondering if there is a common cause for very asymmetrical nostrils - is it genetics? my parents have normal noses...it means my face looks completely different each side and is pretty annoying. Doubt i would ever go as far as plastic surgery but have wondered why i have it, and curious to see if any light can be shed on the matter.

Uneven nostrils

+1

Uneven nostrils and a photograph represent a caudal septal deviation probably the result of trauma or fracture. A columellar plasty would help with this problem to make the nostrils look more symmetrical

Why is my nose like this?

+1

You either have a deviated caudal septum or asymmetric tip cartilage medial crura. Both can be fixed with rhinoplasty.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does anyone have any idea why my nose is like this?

+1

The caudal septum is deflected and this creates the asymmetry you observe.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nostril Asymmetry

+1

From the picture you submitted, it appears that your nasal septum, (cartilage that divides your nose in half) may be dislocated off of the ledge that it typically rests, (maxillary crest). In addition, a portion of your lower lateral cartilage that is close to the septum may be displaced.

This is a relatively easy anatomical issue to fix, the procedure is a Septorhinoplasty. It is not overly painful, will make your nose more proportionate.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon