Icepick Scar Treatment

Can anyone suggest a good treatment for someone with icepick scars. See attached photos. I went to a derma today and she told me these were deep pitted ice pick scars but could not really provide me with any treatment option?! Told me to continue with v-beam laser treatment for the redness. How can there be no solution for treating ice - pick scars? I'm probably a IV or V on the Fitzgerald skin scale. Please suggest! It really bothers me when makeup can't even cover the texture :(

Treating ice pick scars

+1

Some of your acne scars are ice pick, others are rolled scars. Chemical peels & microdermabrasion can provide some modest benefit, and TCA cross and fractionated lasers even better results but at more downtime and cost and discomfort. Punch excisions in some cases is very helpful as well. Speak with your dermatologist about the best options for you.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars

+1

I would not call most of these ice pick scars. I consider the pinpoint sized acne scars to be ice picks. For these broader acne scars I have found punch incisions to be the best option. As the circular incision heals and contracts the center of the indent pops up. This procedure is limited though in that it cannot even out pigment

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Fractional erbium laser resurfacing for ice pick and boxcar acne scars

+1

Fractional laser resurfacing works well to decrease atrophic acne scarring, including ice pick scars and boxcar scars.  It may require several treatments to improve significantly. 

You need to use a bleaching cream for a month before and a month after the resurfacing.  You also need to avoid sun exposure to prevent hyperpigmentation.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon