Does Ice Compression Really Help Reduce Swelling After Rhynoplasty? (photo)

hi, i have just had my nose tip refined with ear dorsal cartilage 6 days ago and it still looks bulbous i have been trying ice compression and it seems not work so effectively as i expected...:( plus the splints in my nose is kinda irritating and itchy and makes me sneeze sometimes... shall i still apply the ice compression at this moment any suggestion will be appreciated! thanks

Ice and Compression for Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

Ice in the first few days may help, but it has not been proven to help long term.  The same goes for compression.  Swelling will reduce significantly in three or four weeks.

Best to leave nose alone after rhinoplasty.

+2

Hi.

I recommend not doing anything to your nose and being patient.  You will begin to see the result in a few weeks.

Swelling and bruising after rhinoplasty

+2

Icing an area after surgery helps to reduce swelling and bruising.  I use it after many but not all of my surgeries.  I find that many of my rhinoplasty patients feel it is more irritating than helpful.  As a result, I don't routinely recommend it to them.  In my opinion, the long term result will not be altered by the use of ice at this point and I think you can stop it. I would confirm that your surgeon is okay with this as well though. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.northtexasplasticsurgery.com/news/can-a-nose-job-melt-5-truths-about-rhinoplasty/

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Ice will help with bruising and swelling but only for the first few days. Swelling will lasast for months in the tip.

Does Ice Compression Really Help Reduce Swelling After Rhynoplasty?

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for 25 years and have all of our Rhinoplasty patients use ice therapy for the first 1 -2 weeks post-op.  When done properly, ice therapy, is highly effective.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Ways to decrease swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Ice works well to decrease swelling the first 2-3 days after surgery.  At this point avoiding strenuous activity and sleeping with your head elevated on 2-3 pillows will help to reduce the swelling more quickly.  

Swelling, especially in the tip of your nose, is normal after surgery and will take 3-6 months for ~80% of it to resolve.   

Swelling after Tip Rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling after any type of rhinoplasty is normal. Swelling especially after tip refinement surgery will ALWAYS occur. There will be a period of months, up to a year and a half, where the shape of the nose will continue to change and improve before finally settling into its final form. 6 days after surgery is much too soon to be concerned about the final appearance of your nose. Ask your Plastic Surgeon if ice is a good idea. I normally don't recommend this for my patients.

Thanks for your question and photo. Best wishes!