Ice on Bump After 5 Weeks Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago , i got a bone removed from the bridge , i noticed a bump on one side , exactly where the hump used to be , can i use ice packs with little pressure on the bump ? Thank you

Ice on bump 5 weeks after rhinoplasty?

+2

After 5 weeks, using ice will not help. I would recommend visiting your surgeon so he/she may examine you and provide you with advice on the bump. They know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. If swelling is an issue, injections of kenalog mixed with 5-Flourouracil can help. Thank you and good luck!

Icing Nose Five Weeks Post Rhionplasty

+2

Ice is usually recommended for the first 3 to 5 days post rhinoplasty for inflammation but the first 48 hours are the most critical when it comes to icing the area.

Icing the area this far post op will not speed up the recovery time. I would give it some time to heal, rhinoplastys do take a long time and most surgeons will recommend waiting at least six to nine months post op, if not a year, to see your full results. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Caution on applying pressure on the affected area

+2

In the early post-operative period following a rhinoplasty, gentle pressure to irregular or asymmetric areas can definitely be of benefit in helping ensure a smooth and straight result.  That being said, I would not apply any pressure to the area without first discussing this with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

+2

Ice will not be of benefit at 5 weeks post op.  It may take several months for all swelling t resolve.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

The bump may be excess bone or some cartilage deficiency

+2

I don't think ice will help at this point.  A hard bump is likely a contour irregularity of bone.  This may be one of three things:

1.  The hump was not lowered completely

2.  Some bone regrew (callous formation, which can be treated with conservative steroid injection)

3. Some settling or narrowing of the cartilage beneath the lower edge of bone.  When a hump consisting of both bone and cartilage is lowered, the cartilage (upper lateral cartilages) which for the middle part of the nose can settle inward a bit, especially if no spreader grafts were used to re-support the area.  What looks like a new bump can be the normal bone which is now more exposed as the cartilage moves inward.

In any case, the best thing to do would be address these possibilities with your surgeon.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ice on nasal hump

+2

Ice is great for the first few days. It may even help for the first week. After that I don't think it does anything to help the healing, though if it feels good it doesn't cause any problems. Sometimes massage of early scar tissue can help reduce a post-op bump. Check in with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Ice for bump after rhinoplasty

+2

At five weeks, it is unlikely that ice will help with any residual bump. I would still give it time to heal before getting too worried.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+2

Dear Wallody, Ice will not help this area at five weeks post surgery. It is most likely that the bump you see is cartilage or bone that has been there since the time of the procedure and has become more obvious and apparent visually since the swelling has dissipated. I would see your surgeon for an evaluation and upon direct examination he/she will be able to provide you with a proper diagnosis. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Ice on bump

+2

this is unlikely to help at this point

the bump may represent a prominant piece of cartilage or bone that was present since the time of surgery.  you may be noticing it more now due to the fact that the swelling in the overlying soft tissues is starting to resolve.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

+2
  • Ice will not help swelling 5 weeks after rhinoplasty.
  • the swelling is from deposition of healing protein. It takes 6 months at least for the swelling to subside.
  • Occasionally a tiny steroid injection will help.
  • See your plastic surgeon to discuss how you are healing.
  • Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD