Breast Implants and COPD?

I am 53 Yrs Old with COPD. Should I Get Implants Because my Husband Wants Them?

Breast Implants should always be done for you!

+2

You should never get cosmetic surgery for someone else. This is an important decision and should not be done to satisfy anyone other than yourself (Especially if you have confounding medical issues that could jeopardize your health!). 

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Get implants for your own self image and not to achieve another person's image of you

+1

Get implants for your own self image and not to achieve another person's image of you. You will always be around to look at yourself in the mirror and you better like what you see.

COPD and breast implants

+1

First, you have to decide if implants are right for you.  Second, you have to make sure that you are healthy enough and it isafe for you to undergo the surgery.   Good luck with your decisions.

Do it for the RIGHT reasons!

+1

Reasonable candidates for cosmetic surgery

1.  Good candidate for the procedure

2.  In overall good medical health.  You would need medical clearance for your COPD.

3.  Pursuing cosmetic surgery for the right reasons.  Having cosmetic surgery BECAUSE YOU WANT IT not someone else.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Augmentation for the wrong reasons

+1

Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure which carries risks of bleeding, infection, hardening of implants, scarring, loss of nipple sensation, and other complications (including pulmonary embolism and death).  In most cases results are problem free, but these risks are real, and are actually worse in someone like yourself who has a serious preexisting medical condition. 

Aside from the degree of surgical risk, the only real reason to have cosmetic plastic sugery is because you want the procedure.  Having surgery to please someone else is not a good idea, and may lead to an unhappy outcome regardless of the quality of your surgical results.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

I am 53 Yrs Old with COPD. Should I Get Implants Because my Husband Wants Them

+1

You are a disaster waiting to happen! Why have surgery for someone else? BAD IDEA. Plus you have a severe pulmonary condition. Seek in person evaluations from boarded plastic surgeons. Do what you want!

Should I Get Breast Implants Because my Husband Wants Them?

+1

Regarding: " I am 53 Yrs Old with COPD. Should I Get Implants Because my Husband Wants Them?"

You should NEVER have ANY operation cosmetic or otherwise for someone else. Personally, I would not care if you were 22 year old in outstanding health, I would not operate on a patient whose sole motivation for a cosmetic operation is making a boyfriend or husband happy.

Clearly, your husband wants to transform you and with your smoking history your potential complications are not negligible.

You may suggest to your husband to just buy a pair of implants to play with (a much cheaper option).

Dr. Aldea

No breast implants because of Husbands, Boyfriends or Anybody except Yourself!

+1

It is obvious from the other surgeons what the answer is but I need to add another vote.  NO, the thought of putting yourself at risk which are small normally but higher due to your other medical problems is something that should be a decision for yourself.  Nobody should be able to push you into the decision for surgery which you do not desire.  What will be his next request?  Since you are a more mature individual, a augmentation may not be enough.  This would make the surgery not result in the best appearance without some sort of lift.   This would add additional time and risk to any patient.  COPD can be defined broadly.  Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is serious.  We are talking about Emphysema or Severe Chronic Bronchitis.  This is usually related to smoking.  If you still smoke that only increase risk to an unacceptable level.  Please think carefully before others make you take action which may affect your long term health.  

Dennis J. Bang, MD

Breast Implants For YOURSELF, Not Anyone Else

+1

This is a surgery that you can only do for yourself.  You have to be comfortable with it.  You have to live with it everyday.  If you are comfortable with the decision, then great.  If not, then you should not proceed until you are ready to do this for yourself, and noon else.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Consider breast augmentation only if you want the procedure

+1

We can always be pushed by friends, spouse or significant others to consider breast augmentation. Individuals can also consider breast augmentation in hopes of saving or improving a relationship. Such reasons are often a source of regret. When considering augmentation, including size, it is very important to stay true to yourself. You alone should know if breast enhancement is right for you.

peterejohnsonmd