How Much Weight Should I Lose Before Tummy Tuck?

32 Years Old Actual Weight 168 How Much Weight Should I Loose Before TT and Lipo

Tummy Tuck Preparation?

+1

Ideally you will be at a stable weight where you did not expect significant fluctuation of weight after your surgery. Starting at a stable weight will minimize the chances you will need further surgery after the tummy tuck.

As you prepare for the procedure some words of advice may be helpful...

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Weight loss before tummy tuck and lipo.

+1

Ideally, for the average adult, I have found patients do best if they are within 15 pounds of their goal weight.

Weight issues as related to a tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

You should try to aim if at all possible to be closer to your ideal body weight in order to obtain the best results from surgery such as a tummy tuck and liposuction but you don't necessarily need to be in that range in order to see an improvement. Without you providing photos or even your height, it is impossible to determine where you are situated as regards your ideal weight.

You should seek the recommendations from 1 or more board certified plastic surgeons and then proceed from there accordingly.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Tummy tuck

+1
You should reach a weight that is close to you ideal weight and that you will be able to maintain. Losing weight and then gaining it after surgery is not good either.

A Moderate, Stable Weight is More Important than Your Ideal Weight for Tummy Tuck +/- Liposuction

+1

It is not necassary to lose weight down to a published ideal body weight (or BMI).  For many, this is unrealistic.  Excellent results can be obtained by experienced plastic surgeons when patients are at various weights. 

However, there are some important points to make in order to have the best results.  First, you should not have liposuction and/or tummy tuck, then lose a large amount of weight (more than 10-15 pounds).  If you anticipate such a weight loss, achieve it before you have your surgery.  Second, if your surgeon determines that the majority of your tummy fat is internal (intra-abdominal), then skin tightening may be achieved but little improvement of a full, round tummy.  Finally, if you carry increased body fat, your tummy tuck will be most impressive in how it reduces hanging loose skin and fat in your lower abdomen.  Best wishes.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Weigh loss before Tummy Tuck

+1

It is always a good idea to be in as good shape and as ideal weight as possible before AND after any cosmetic surgical procedure, including a tummy tuck.  I routine explain to my patients that what I do as a plastic surgeon is an adjunct to, not a substitution for, watching you diet or weight and exercising regularly.  That said, we, as plastic surgeons, realize it may not be possible for a patient to loss that 20-40lbs that are so bothersome.  In my practice, when I evaluate a patient for a tummy tuck, I concentrate more on the patient's overall health and how it relates to the safety of their procedure, rather than the patient's absolute weight.  If you can loose a few lbs. before the surgery, this would be fine, but if you don't, I do not think it will significantly compromise your result.   

Web reference: http://www.VincentLeporeMD.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Prior to Tummy Tuck

+1
Dear Vickky, I tell my patients that you will obtain your best result after a tummy tuck if you are closest to your ideal body weight. As we all know, this is a difficult goal, so I recommend getting down to the closest that you can realistically get down to. I do work in conjunction with a medical weight management group for patients that are interested in professional help reaching this goal. Ultimately, this is a big investment in yourself and optimizing your outcome is a wise choice. Best wishes.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

You did not mention your height so it is difficult to know what your BMI is.  You certainly can have a tummy tuck at your present weight, assuming there are no complicating medical problems.  You will, however, likely obtain your best result if you are at or near your ideal body weight.

Weight before Tummy Tuck

+1

You did not say how tall you are. If you are 5’ 9”, then your weight puts you at a BMI of 25, which is at the upper end of “ideal.” If you are shorter, you are heavier than is really healthy. If you are that height or taller, you are within a very healthy range. The ideal weight before an Abdominoplasty is with a BMI of 20-25. This is, not only an ideal healthy weight, but it also has minimal fat within the abdomen. This means we can tighten the muscle fascia and you will have a flat tummy, and the fat below the muscle will not push the muscle to stretch the tissues back out as it will if you are heavier.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck works well in overweight patients.

+1

Hi.

1)  Except for the morbidly obese, we find that overweight patients do fine after tummy tuck.  Of course you are still overweight after wards, but you have a flat stomach.  Sometimes, this motivates patients to lose more weight.

2)  Special precautions, such as using blood thinners, make surgery safe if you are overweight.

3)  We usually  do liposuction of the stomach and love handles together with a tummy tuck.  But don't have liposuction of other areas, such as the thighs, done together with your tummy tuck.  That's too much surgery, and the risk of complications goes up.  It is not safe.