I am 19 years and I am losing my hair. It is too short and too thin. How can I treat this?

Thinning and Hair Loss in 19 Year Old

+1
Before trying to find a treatment, I would suggest that you work with a physician to determine specific factors that may be causing your condition. Most cases of hair loss are caused by genes.

But there may be medical conditions at work too. A common one includes thyroid imbalances such s hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

Side effects from prescriptions can also result in hair loss.

And even overdosing from supplements like selenium, Vitamin A and iodine can also cause hair to shed more than usual. A doctor would be able to administer appropriate tests to detect various types of imbalances and conditions.

If your condition is due to genetics, then at some point, you may want to consider a hair transplant surgery. Your doctor can recommend an appropriate time frame. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Short and thin hair

+1
Individuals with hair loss may consider seeing a dermatologist to help with the precise diagnosis. In general, hair that is "short" is spending less time in the growing phase and that can be seen in hair loss conditions known as female pattern hair loss as well as in a hair loss condition called telogen effluvium. Hair that is thin is typically associated with female pattern hair loss.

For any woman with hair loss, a few blood tests (iron and thyroid) are necessary and several others could also be ordered depending on what other information is uncovered during the consultation. 

The treatments for hair loss are different depending on the precise diagnosis. So step 1 is to figure out the exact diagnosis.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologist