I Weigh 13 Stone and I Am 5ft5, Would It Be Possible for Me to Get a Tummy Tuck at my Current Weight?

I have already lost 3 stone after having my 4th and final child just over a year ago and i am still wanting to lose more but im thinking of a tummy tuck to get rid of my overhanging tummy. It would make it so much more easier for me to exercise without this constant floppy 'rubber ring' around me! As well as boost my confidence. I am 28, 5ft5 and currently 13stone. I have been sterilised so theres no worries of me putting my weight back on due to pregnancies. Would i be a candidate?

Stable, healthy, sustainable weight is ideal prior to tummy tuck

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far, a feat which can be a real challenge after pregnancy. Generally a tummy tuck is safest and will yield the most satisfying long-term results after you achieve a stable, healthy, sustainable weight. But I have certainly found that some women are so troubled by the loose, overhanging skin + fat that they would rather proceed earlier. The relief certainly can improve your fitness and exercise efforts, but you will have to be prepared for re-accumulation of some loose skin if your weight continues to drop after your tummy tuck, and perhaps require a revision. A careful assessment by a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon will help you with your strategy and long term goals.

Candidate for tummy tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question. Based on the information you provided it seems to me you are a candidate for tummy tuck. The advice I give to my patients is when their weight is stable and close to ideal then they are a candidate for tummy tuck. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tummy tuck candidacy?

+2

According to my calculations you weigh about 184 pounds (13 stone). Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 30.6, which puts you in a category where the risks of surgery are increased. If you can get your BMI below 30, it would reduce your risks. Your weight should also be stable for 6 months before surgery. I hope this helps, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck?

+2

I ask patients to achieve (if at all possible) their long-term stable weight before undergoing any type of body contouring surgery. I generally do not ask patients to achieve a specific weight;  rather I asked that they achieve a weight where they feel “comfortable” for the long-term. In other words, my hope is that patients do not experience significant weight fluctuation after undergoing the body contouringprocedure.
Achieving the patient's long-term stable weight will increase the safety of the procedure and  decrease the chances that revisionary surgery will be necessary ( if he/she loses weight after having had the operation performed).
Obviously, every patient's situation is different and the weight at which they feel comfortable may differ significantly.

Occasionally,  there are patients who reach a “plateau” and undergo tummy tuck surgery ( even though they are not at their long-term stable weight) to allow for an improved ability to exercise ( and continue on the weight loss journey).

Weight Loss Prior to Tummy Tuck

+1

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck is always recommended.  You should achieve a stable, healthy weight prior to surgery.

Tummy Tuck at my Current Weight?

+1

If the amount of weight you anticipate losing is considerable--more than 25 pounds, you might risk needing another TT if you do one now.

The procedure will have fewer risks and provide a better outcome if you do this at a weight closer to 150, which would put you at a high end of normal body mass index of 25.

Keep up the good work!  Thanks for your question, best wishes.