I Will Be 4 Week Post Tummy Tuck and my Belly Button Has a Scab in Top That Doesn't Want to Fall Off. Is This Normal? (photo)

Belly Button Scab

+1

The scab could be covering a suture that was placed deeper and is coming to the surface and may need to be removed to expedite the healing process.  It can also be granulation tissue that can be burned away with Silver nitrate or simply excised and allowed to heal.

Belly Button Has a Scab

+1

I am not sure I can see a scab in the attached photo. If there is one in the naval, chances are they are sitting over an undissolved suture that has worked its way to the surface.

Call your surgeon to see whether he or she thinks you should be seen. Best wishes.

+1

In the posted photo I see no scabbing. Best to return to your surgeon for advise and care of this issue. 

Belly Button Wound

+1

Thank you for the picture.  The belly button looks pretty good.  I am not appreciating the scab.  None-the-less, I would allow it to continue to mature and eventually it will fall off.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Hello

+1

At four weeks it’s normal to still have scabbing. You need to make sure you ask those questions to your PS. He would be the best person to give you the best advice.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Umbilicus scab after tt

+1

The photo does not show anything ominous.  I would advise not worrying about it.  It will fall off when it is ready, so don't pic.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Hard to tell from photo

+1

Thank you from the question and the photo.  In general there are two types of scabs (eschars), superficial and full thickness.  Superficial scabs still have good blood supply to the tissue underneath and will heal without a wound.  Deep scabs implies the entire thickness of the tissue has lost its blood supply and will require to heal as a wound from the inside out.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound healing after a tummy tuck

+1

There is often some variability in healing times following a tummy tuck.

The circulation to the skin edges can be affected by this surgery and the healing of the incisions may lag.  Fortunately, if there is some separation of the skin edges, as things heal, the scars tend to contract together.  A wider scar early on will often heal to a narrow thinner line if given time.

The problem that you describe, sounds like a similar case.  As the scab begins to separate, you should see an incision line that is healing well.

Remember patience is a virtue,

Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon