I Am One Week Post Op for Breast Reduction and Upset That Too Much Was Removed?

I was wearing a 36N. After talking to the doctor the morning of surgery I agreed to 700 grams (what insurance required) because I was terrified of taking too much off. In recovery the nurse told me they removed 2.4 pounds from the right and 2.6 from the left. I was immediately upset because that is about a pound more than what I agreed too... I have not seen my doctor since before my surgery. Is that a bit extreme and should he be responsible for fixing that if I am unhappy with the results?

Volume of Tissue Removed With Breast Reduction

+2

If you were wearing a 36N, 700g of tissue is actually a small amount to remove. It most likely would not be enough to reduce symptoms that I'm sure you had as a result of your large breasts (back pain, shoulder strap grooving, etc.). That being said, I would talk to your doctor at your first post op visit and tell him your concerns.  He will probably suggest that you wait a few months and see how you look after you've completely healed and everything has settled. You may be very pleased with your results as you will be less restricted by the weight of your breasts.

Breast Reduction Size

+2

Most plastic surgeons try to reduce breasts to a C or D cup, so that you can receive the maximal benefit in symptoms but not make anyone too small. 

Breast reduction

+2

A discussion with your doctor sounds reasonable. I can not answer why he took off  the amount he did.  If your breasts were that large, taking off that large volume may have been reasonable to help improve your symptoms. 

Unhappy about grams of breast tissue removed with a breast reduction

+2

Breast reduction is more than just gram amount to be removed and given your "N" cup size, you were quite large. You provided no pre- or post operative photos nor whether you are happy with the present size or even the cup size that you are at, at least temporarily. Do your neck, back  and shoulders feel better? Furthermore, it is unclear all that was discussed between you and your plastic surgeon.

My recommendation would be to discuss this size issue with your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.

Frankly, it is much too early to be “upset” or experience any other type of emotion after the procedure performed. Keep in mind, that although estimations may be provided prior to surgery, no plastic surgery can accurately predict exactly how much tissue will be removed during breast reduction procedures.

I would suggest that you stay as emotionally even keeled as possible  and express your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Hopefully you'll be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure regardless of the specific amount of tissue removed and/or the final cup size achieved.

Size after Breast Reductions??

+2

Thanks for your question. Communication on the possible post operative size is very important in Breast Reduction patients. While it can be extremely difficult for a surgeon to accurately predict an exact cup size for most patients one can often determine if a patient breasts will be smaller than body size or proportional to a patients body size.
 There are 454 grams in a pound. If you had a total of 5 pounds of breast tissue removed than that is 2, 270 grams. On average many breast reductions are around 2 to 4 pounds. You should approach your surgeon with your concerns but, remember that Breast Reduction Surgery covered by insurance carriers are considered Functional Operations. If your neck/ back pain, shoulder grooving/ arthralgia & rashes are improved then, your surgery would be considered a success. I realize this not what you want to hear. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon