I Want to Have TT BA/BL Lipo of the Flanks Chin and Inner Thighs and Arms, is This Too Much?

Tummy Tuck, Breast Aug, Breast Lift, Lipo Flanks

+3

I frequently perform tummy tuck, breast aug, and full breast lift together.  However, lipo of the whole body on top of that is pushing things.  At some point, you have to say no more.  Keeping elective surgeries of the body to under 4 hours  is good advice for preventing complications.

Mommy Makeover

+2

This is a very common question. Performing multiple procedures at the same time is safe but each case is different depending on the duration of surgery as well as the health of the patient.  You do not want to have too long a surgery and also, if you have health concerns, you need to discuss these with your surgeon so that he/she can make sure your surgery is safe.

Communication is key. Make sure you are choosing a well experienced plastic surgeon who performs these cases in a safe environment.

Best Wishes.

Mommy makeover tummy tuck, ba/bl, multiple site lipo

+2

Thank you for sharing your story with us!  Multiple procedures can be accomplished in one operative setting.  The limiting factor is time under anesthesia.  The key determinant is your overall health status.  For your three procedures there are many variables to consider such as the amount of liposuction which adds to the overall length of time involved.  All lipo is not created equal and a careful assessment of how much fat will be extracted from each site is paramount in determining the amount of time required.  The benefit of one recovery, decreased anesthesia and operating room costs must be weighed against potentials for adverse outcomes such as infection, pulmonary embolus, and even death.

As stated before, you need to prioritize your surgeries and have a careful discussion with your plastic surgeon to see what can be done SAFELY.  Should you do all three at once, I would recommend that you at the very least have an overnight stay in the hospital for postoperative monitoring.  The other option is to see a surgeon who works in concert with another surgeon to expedite the operation, this should cut down on the time considerably.  If you go this route, you should meet both surgeons.  I utilize this "team" surgery for some of my breast reconstruction free flap cases as well as for large body contouring procedures.  Even with the time saving, I would recommend the overnight stay.  Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Multiple surgical procedures at once

+2

This is a frequently asked question at our practice. First and foremost is patient safety. The reasons for asking and doing all the surgical procedures at once is convenience, economical saving and single recovery period. However, multiple procedures carries higher risk of complications which can delay recovery, cost more money, and create inconveniences for the patient. Your requests really depends on several factors. First is the length of surgery. Second is your general health status. Third is the type of combination surgeries been performed. If the length of surgery is greater than 6 hours, it's a good idea to keep you overnight in a hospital setting. This actually adds to the cost of surgery and eliminate some of the saving of combining surgeries. In addition, if you follow through with all of the above mentioned surgery, by my account your arms, legs, and trunk areas are all going to be affected by surgery. You level of mobility will be severely diminished after surgery. This then increases the risk of deep veinous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism and potentially life threatening situation. Make sure you have a serious discuss with your plastic surgeon before signing on.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery 

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Is This Too Much?

+2

My vote is yes, unless you are admitted to the hospital for overnight observation. The issue is safety. 

One factor is length of surgery, and as a rule I prefer to stay under 4 hours, many other surgeons prefer under 6 hours. 

The other factor is the extent of body surfaces being treated. The proposed procedure involves more than half the torso, and  half the upper extremities,  half the thighs, and the neck. A more than average amount of swelling could put you in a dangerous situation if you were not closely monitored.

Much depends on your overall  health. It would have to be near perfect to consider all this. Also would be your body habitus. It you are very slender and the procedures would be shorter and associated with less blood loss and less swelling, my response might be different. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes for a safe and an excellent outcome.

With an experienced surgeon, this combination of breast lift, breast augmentation and tummy tuck is a safe

+2

The first question is what is your general health. If you are in good health then combining all these procedures together should not be a problem. In Florida this combination needs to be done in the hospital. You need to find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who frequently does these combined procedures in under 8 hours. You should ask to see photos of before and after views of similar patients and even talk with one of your surgeons patients before scheduling. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Multiple surgical procedures

+2

It is temptin to patients and doctors to do multiple surgical procedures in one session.

surgery should be approached not as "how much I can do' or How fast i can do" it must be how safe it is. Patient safety comes first.

Multiple procedures can be done safely but the patient has to be fully evaluated before the surgery by the family physician and other specialists as needed.

Complete blood work, EKG should be normal.

No associated diseases, age, normal weight, Preveous history , family history. Evaluation of risk for deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary emboli. Patient's particular situation, need for help during recovery.

Where the surgery is done? All these has to be taken in consideration. I believe even in the best candidate what you are asking is too much in one session and too big of a trauma on your body.

Combined Procedures in Mommy Makeovers

+2

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS